Should I be worried about this?

sophieethompson

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
I've noticed that my Brahma chick has been pooping this yellowish foamy stuff and some of the poop is clumping under the vent. Should I be worried? Should I attempt to wash it off? Will it turn into pasty butt?
She isn't acting like she's ill, but I'm new to chickens so I don't know. Also, she is 1 week old.

Yes, you definitely need to clean her vent. It can dry and a crust can form that may start blocking the vent, causing poop to back up.

Chick poop can normally vary wildly from foamy, to soupy and stinky (cecal) to firm little bird droppings.

If the foamy poop continues for a few days straight, and it's the only kind of poop you're seeing from your Brahma, then there could be something else going on.

Use a Q-tip dipped in warm water to very gently clean the vent. Don't rub or scrub or swelling will result.

Yes, you definitely need to clean her vent. It can dry and a crust can form that may start blocking the vent, causing poop to back up.

Chick poop can normally vary wildly from foamy, to soupy and stinky (cecal) to firm little bird droppings.

If the foamy poop continues for a few days straight, and it's the only kind of poop you're seeing from your Brahma, then there could be something else going on.

Use a Q-tip dipped in warm water to very gently clean the vent. Don't rub or scrub or swelling will result.

How do I dry off the chick?

Use a dry towel and wipe it dry gentle. It doesn't have to be completely dry as hopefully you are not going to get he chick soaking wet. A slightly damp bottom should not be a problem. This is know as pasty butt in chicks and is not a problem if taken care of right away.

Use a dry towel and wipe it dry gentle.  It doesn't have to be completely dry as hopefully you are not going to get he chick soaking wet.   A slightly damp bottom should not be a problem.  This is know as pasty butt in chicks and is not a problem if taken care of right away.  

Ok, I have successfully cleaned off the chick! Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom