Should I Be Worried

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3GChicks, Jan 28, 2012.

1. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    So I was sitting there with my porcelain silkie chick and I was petting her. I had black sweat pants on when I put her back in her brooder I noticed that where she had been sitting on my lap there looked what appeared to be dandruff all over my pants? Should I be worried or concerned or is this normal. My chicks are almost 8 weeks old. Thanks for any answers.

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinkin prety normal. have they been dust bathing too? ours always did in the shavings, very dusty.

RobertH

3. maybe they were mites. happened to me once[​IMG] it was disgusting bc they were all over my jeans. wait does she have all her feather, bc when they start getting bald and red spots appear, that usually means mites, besides when they are molting

4. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    I think they have all of their feathers, I am new to the chicken world so I could be wrong. There are no bald spots, and the specks on my jeans were not moving, so I am assuming they were not mites. We have been checking them every couple of days to make sure.

I didn't think about the dust bathing, they lay down in the wood shavings so that would make sense.

5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    It's probably the dust from the shavings. If you have them indoors they should be okay. Check to see if they are over cleaning themselves. Kind of scratching.... But I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I certainly would be concerned for mites or lice!! You need to get that one chick on a black pair of pants again and have a good magnified glass close at hand and see if the white is bugs (mites/lice) or the feather cases from the new feathers coming in. If its lice or mites treat them with; Sevin dust for mites Powder + flea and tick stuff Put together a bucket to smother them with DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Food Grade like below in a bucket with sand. 1/3 DE 2/3 Sand and dirt. Great luck to you the world is not over.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by