Should I be worried?!

Is pox a bacteria or virus? If it is a virus, antibiotics are useless unless you have a secondary infection.

Post some pics of these combs and people can better judge normal vs something to deal with.

Viral things like the flu and such just need to run their course.

From what I've been reading, avian pox is viral and does need to run its course. You can provide some support treatments (like putting iodine on the spots to help dry them faster) but overall, there is no treatment. If you search for avian pox on this site, you'll come up with lots of wonderful, helpful posts. I'll try to get up some pics of my hens soon but am certain they have pox. As to the earlier question: it is unlikely they will die. Be sure to check that they do not have "wet" pox (in their mouths and throat) b/c that is a more serious form of the pox. I'll keep you updated about their progress over the next few days, but for now, the girls seem to be doing well.

Last edited:
I have been reading many of the posts on pox.

One of my hens developed a 3mm wart-like bump on her head near the comb. This bumb had a black coloured scab (1.5mm) over it. That was 1.5 weeks ago.

Today the bump is still there, but the black scab is gone. It was not a blood scab. I haven't seen any further bumbs or black spots on her or the other two birds.

Is it possible that this is a case of pox? I am madly trying to read all I can on the subject. I understand there is a version called wet pox? Are the symptoms the same?

Am I doing the right thing by just observing things closely? Should I do more?

How are everyone else's birds doing now? Did they all recover? I'm expecting my hens to start laying any day...will the eggs be safe to eat?

Back
Top Bottom