Should I break broody habit?

I hear in the dark was best or is that wrong? If they are in jail in the coop and could still see the nest box, would that make it harder?
Better it be light. than dark.
In sight of nests... eh, some say it matters but I don't really think so. Tho once I broke one during a heat wave, had to move the crate around in the yard to keep it in the shade, thinks the change of scenery may have helped.

What size is that cage?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

Thx everyone. This is my set up do far. All they did today is lay in there same as in nest but will see after 3 days. One is raised off floor and the black cage is on floor because i didnt think it would support the hens weight.

Attachments

• received_812373526066994.jpeg
    received_812373526066994.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 2
  • received_1880565815454925.jpeg
    received_1880565815454925.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 2
Thx everyone. This is my set up do far. All they did today is lay in there same as in nest but will see after 3 days. One is raised off floor and the black cage is on floor because i didnt think it would support the hens weight.

You need to get airflow underneath the hen's belly. Did you see how my dog crate was up on a small pallet?

Oh ok..yeah i really dont have a set up for that. Ill have to rethink thing in the morning :(
You might be able to break them that way anyhow. As long as they're not nesting down and getting comfy, they'll eventually break. If they're sitting and getting cozy on the floor, then they'll need more air getting under there to cool off their bellies.

Back
Top Bottom