should i buy a bread MACHINE? update today october 9

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
hello.
i was starting to look into buying a bread machine. any good brands anyone would reccomend?
if you own one, do you like it? does it save you money? is it really worth one?
thanks!

andrea-
smile.png

okay.... so i did not go and buy a bread machine, i ended up using my kitchen aid mixer! my first bread came out awesome. an italian white bread... however last night i made wheat bread! gross!
sickbyc.gif

i followed instructions too! what is gluten flour? i bought wheat flour.. thinking that was enough... i dont get it. it never rose. i baked it thought,, and it came out hard as a rock... can i feed it to my chickens? i sure am not eating it..
th.gif
neither is the family. i hate to throw it out?
idunno.gif

i really wanted to make wheat bread... any tips out there?
caf.gif

ill be looking forward to someone elses response! thanks again!
pop.gif

for now i will sip my coffee while at work here now......
pop.gif

andrea-

Last edited:
I own a bread machine, but I prefer to use my KitchenAid mixer to mix bread dough. That way I can mix larger batches and use recipes not well suited to bread makers. I use the bread hook to mix and knead the dough, it works so quickly.

To answer your question, my bread machine is a Welbilt. It's 11 years old and still works perfectly, but since it's an older model it doesn't have some of those newer features like crust browning preference or a pan that looks like a traditional loaf. I use it when I know I want to serve fresh bread for dinner, but I won't be home to do all the steps I do for old-fashioned bread.

I personally don't have one, I make my own, but my neighbor has one. She has problems with carpel tunnel and can't knead the dough herself. I can't tell you what kind she has, but I can tell you she loves it.

Good luck.

Making bread at home definately saves money - whichever way you do it. I still buy sandwich bread, but I rarely buy pricey bakery bread from the deli. My dinner rolls and garlic bread are so much better than anything I can get at the grocery store and I can make it so much cheaper.

We LOVE our bread machine, and use it at least 3 times a week. It makes it so easy, and no work at all. Great if you work or can't make it the old fashioned way.
smile.png
Haven't bought bread, including hamburger and hot dog buns, in 2 years.

Quote:
I agree. I think its money much more well spent to get a Kitchen Aid. It can do all a bread machine can do (except bake it), plus a million other things. Even when I had a bread machine, I still took the dough out and baked it in a loaf pan to get a prettier loaf. I dont have many kitchen gadgets, but I do love my Kitchenaid.

We got a bread machine a couple of years back and its great. We have one that does the dough for you and you have the option to turn it out and finish in the oven. It also has a timer so we can wake to fresh baked bread. It does have multi function for fancy breads too! Ours even does Jam. It was not that expensive.

To be honest I think the bread machine is quicker than by hand. We do both depending on what we want. I love ours and wouldn;t be without one now. My best advice is get a cheap model - ours is only a cheap model but get one with as many functions as you can. Don;t buy a dear model as most do the same thing anyhow and if you decide its not for you then you haven't lost lots of money.

I would vote yes deffinately. Also here I have found if we buy bread it is often on its sell buy date ???? That is from the so called good supermarkets. I think if you make your own at least you know what is in it and how long it will last for.

Anyhow thats about it - good luck

Oesdog

goodfeedback..... i own the kitchen aid mixer, i wonder if theres attachment.
i am gonna amazon.com search some!!
wee.gif

I can't remember the brand we have, but we bought a bread machine a few years ago and we use it every single day! I don't know what we'd do without it, lol. I think it might have been one of the best investments we made appliance-wise.

Back
Top Bottom