should i buy a bread MACHINE? update today october 9

I have no clue what brand our machine is . I bought one for my wife, she would make it, and it was so delicious, I would devour it...

we have 7 kids and I would always tell folks that I gained 30 lbs with every pregnancy, (my wife is a little skinny butt)

She finally said enough with the bread and stored the bread maker.

I've started loosing my "baby" fat.....

We use ours 90% of the time to make dough for dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls (like those at Cinnabon). Ours is an Oster and makes the upright loaves. I like my mother's better - hers makes the loaves horizontally. I can't remember the brand name of hers but it has an elephant on the logo.

IF you are NOT SURE if you are gonna LOVE a BREAD Machine - - - then buy a cheap one USED
smile.png

Thift Stores have a TON of them that people have gotten as gifts and then did not use and donated OR they are gently used.

You can tell how much a bread machine has been used by how scratched up the cooking pan is. This coated with a non-stick coating that gets scratched as you remove the bread. MOST thrift stores will have an electric outlet that you can plug the machine into and see if it comes on . . ..

I have TWO bread machines. We go through spurts when we use it EVERY DAY and then times when it sits for a month with no use.
It is so easy to do that my 13 years have been making homemade bread for 2 -3 years.

We use a basic white recipe and then add minced garlic for excellent garlic bread to go with our maked brie.

We add a tablespoon of chopped sundried tomatoes and the oil they are in and a dash of italian herbs for some excellent sundried tomatoe bread.

We add rasin, cinnamon, and extra sugar for some cinnamon rasin breakfast bread.

We use BOTH machines at the same time. . . . . The WHOLE load of bread is normally gone within 2 hours of coming out of the bread maker.

I haven't met a MAN yet who doesn't go gu gu gu over fresh maked bread.

We have 2 bread machines (DH and I each had one when we met...DH learned to make bread from his dad!
ep.gif
Who'd a thunk!
big_smile.png
clap.gif
). I don't know which brand, but my one complaint leads directly into why I LOVE the bread machines. I HATE the little kneading paddle that gets baked into the bottom of the loaf. It is mangles the bottom by leaving a large whole. BUT, the bread machine makes dough so much easier and we love making the more complicated breads. So, we use the bread machine(s) for the dough setting, preheat the oven. Place the dough into the loaf pans once it is done in the machine. Cover it with plastic wrap or a towel and set it on the stove (since it is warm from the preheating). Once it is done rising, pop it into the oven and wahlah! Fresh homemade bread, no endless kneading and no kneading paddle hole.
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif

DH uses the dough setting for cinnamon rolls as well, which are DELICIOUS!!

Based on my experience, I would say no. I, too, think a KitchenAid Mixer is a much better investment.

I had one, and I used it for a while. I just wasn't crazy about the bread that came out. The texture just was not like hand kneaded, and I didn't like the fat square shape either. You could never get a really nice crust on it because it always baked in the pan. It was just ok, in my opinion. When we moved, I put it in the basement, never brought it up and finally gave it to someone who wanted one. I think they like it.

If I'm going to bother to make bread, I'd just rather do it by hand.

Quote:
X2

I have a kitchenaid. Much more versatile than a bread machine, and you can get the crust just the way you want it if you bake in the oven. Same amount of work, really. I've never owned a bread machine but have knows people who had them -- and cussed them. My sister had two of them "walk" off the counter and break.

Do it. We bought one and I love it. I haven;t made a loaf in a few weeks but when I do, yum. Very good! Very easy. Totally worth it if you dont want to knead.

ok heres my choices....

Oster 5838 ExpressBake Breadmaker, White (Oct 19, 2004)
Buy new: $79.99 $59.95
29 new from $49.90 4 used from $39.99
Get it by Tuesday, Oct 5 if you order in the next 49 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
34076_41fd54e250l_aa115_.jpg

or

34076_41iocezlu-l_aa115_.jpg

Cuisinart CBK-100 Programmable Breadmaker
Buy new: $185.00 $99.95
9 new from $84.95 1 used from $89.00
Get it by Tuesday, Oct 5 if you order in the next 49 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

both are from amazon

p.s.
thanks for all the info!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
The first one is the exact one that we have. The only thing I do not like about it is that if you bake the bread in the machine, it bakes it vertically (in a column). It works really well for making the dough, however.

Back
Top Bottom