Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Lindz, most of my bird experience is with wild birds, but I think chickens would do well with the same treatments. They can die from shock. Looks like you have her in a quiet place, but keeping it dark will help her recover. A box works well or if she's in a cage, cover it with a towel or blanket. Humidity is good for them too.

Tomorrow if she hasn't perked up, try giving her some electrolyte water and scrambled eggs.

To me, she just looks stressed, not like she's gasping with a punctured lung or anything, but you never know. The first (and only time) Scooter chased a chicken, my EE, she ended up lodging herself in the tall grass next to the fence. When I pulled her out, she had that zombie-eyed look and wouldn't move. Kept her quiet in a box for a couple of hours and she snapped out of it. Dog only pulled a few feathers, though.

Hope she's better tomorrow.

0.jpg

Oh my, she is hurting. I am so sorry
hugs.gif
Wait it out tho unless you are sure she has no hope.
Like cheeka, I had a turken hen with most of her neck skin ripped off and was positive she was a goner!
Lila is doing fantastic, and you can't tell she even had an injury. I later discovered it was a very aggressive young rooster.
Needless to say, HE is no longer here.

3 day-olds and 0ne-week-olds.

I have 2 questions. First, they both are male going by how thick their legs are. One is gaining weight at the same rate as the other, minus point one oz. So now I am wondering if one isn't female? I know. That doesn't make much sense. It is just a thought.
Second, the one seems to lay down a lot. Obviously it is eating. Drinking too. I see them both running around exploring, and they pick at each other. Thanksgiving is more aggressive about it (grabbing Dinner's little wing feathers, and yanking) but Dinner does fight back.
I am saying there is nothing "wrong" about Dinner laying down. I am just wondering if he is more relaxed, or there may be a problem?

Weights (for your entertainment)
2.0 and 2.3 oz 4 days
2.6 and 3.0 oz 6 days
3.8 and 4.3 oz 8 days (last night)

They aren't even on the high protein!

MC, if you stare at those poults you can probably see them growing! Wow!

Lindz, how's your BCM today?

She is still a little out of it. I moved the crate down into the coop because I couldn't keep my little ones from bothering her. The comet is doing much better, and wanted out so she is scratching around with the rest of the flock. I can't get the BCM to eat or drink anything, although I was able to get about 1cc of sugar water in her yesterday. I will be going to check on her here in a little bit and update!

Lindz- So sorry your chicken is still hurting.

Tho I wouldn't be mad at Rachet. From all I'm reading even a puppy like mine which is more of a guardian can't be trusted around chickens. In fact, they say I can't trust him until he's 18mos to 2 years for any livestock. It's just a puppy being a puppy. That said I think they can be trained and there are some that show natural indifference to chickens. But I think that is more of the exception than the rule at this young age.

me too lindz, hope she pulls through this. stress is bad for all creatures.

my gang is not getting out today - we have 45 mph winds with gusts up to 70 mph. advisory until 8:15 tonight. I've got lots of veggies to dice up for them so I'd best get to it...!

egg sales are really picking up - I've gone through almost 20 dozen in the last 2 weeks. I've only got a few dozen in the fridge, but I have a few dozen from the last couple of days on the counter. someone wants 3 dozen brown eggs on Saturday. just brown. Okay...I've never put together a dozen of just brown eggs. I try to make matching pairs and give 6 different colors. whatever the customer wants!

me too lindz, hope she pulls through this. stress is bad for all creatures.

my gang is not getting out today - we have 45 mph winds with gusts up to 70 mph. advisory until 8:15 tonight. I've got lots of veggies to dice up for them so I'd best get to it...!

egg sales are really picking up - I've gone through almost 20 dozen in the last 2 weeks. I've only got a few dozen in the fridge, but I have a few dozen from the last couple of days on the counter. someone wants 3 dozen brown eggs on Saturday. just brown. Okay...I've never put together a dozen of just brown eggs. I try to make matching pairs and give 6 different colors. whatever the customer wants!

Only brown? You can still give them a rainbow of browns! Maybe the person is trying to convince someone that they are store bought eggs. Some people have funny ideas about where eggs come from.

Back
Top Bottom