Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Hey everyone. Sorry for being MIA....
The Salmon Faverolles are hatching.... NOT GOOD..... I set 45 eggs= 32 Sal.Favs, 2 ducks, 11 from my flock... I have 5 chicks and no ducks.... 3 of the chicks came from the Sal. Fav eggs, but one is grey instead of yellow, has clean, green legs, and no extra toes.... Texted the breeder and they said that they only have Sal. Favs, Guineas, BO, BA. I pulled it out of the incubator to send pictures to the breeder. Not sure what this little mutt is but its cute! Unfortunately, I paid $50 for the eggs and so these are really expensive chicks!!!!!
he.gif
I will get more and better pics of everyone tomorrow after they have fluffed and I move them out of the incubator...

Such a busy week at work!!! My house is a disaster and my yard needs mowing!!

On the plus side I'm at day 12 (11 for the 2nd incubator) and outta the 12 in the incubator it looks like all. 12 are developing! With my luck I'll get them all to hatch and they'll all be frizzled and I won't want to sell any
smile.png
. I think I'm only going to keep 3 at most (who am I kidding) and sell the rest straight run.

Oh I hope they hatch!!!

Question for the group- when you hatch your own do you vaccinate?
I do not. I was looking into it when I first began, but decided against it. If you decide to, there is a supply place that will sell smaller batches of vaccinations. They cost wayyyyy too much otherwise.

Hey everyone. Sorry for being MIA....
The Salmon Faverolles are hatching.... NOT GOOD..... I set 45 eggs= 32 Sal.Favs, 2 ducks, 11 from my flock... I have 5 chicks and no ducks.... 3 of the chicks came from the Sal. Fav eggs, but one is grey instead of yellow, has clean, green legs, and no extra toes.... Texted the breeder and they said that they only have Sal. Favs, Guineas, BO, BA. I pulled it out of the incubator to send pictures to the breeder. Not sure what this little mutt is but its cute! Unfortunately, I paid $50 for the eggs and so these are really expensive chicks!!!!!
he.gif
I will get more and better pics of everyone tomorrow after they have fluffed and I move them out of the incubator...

Very cute! Sorry about the bad hatch rate!

cute chicks lindz, maybe more will hatch tomorrow? I hope so anyway...

CLindz, I do not vaccinate. have never lost any to disease (knock on my wooden head for saying that out loud)

I collected 24 eggs during a light rain, checked on Big Broody, who is doing great with 1 week left! came in, made something to eat, have a long long list of household chores... suddenly I got really sleepy and I just couldn't manage a darned thing! I'm a bad napper. I set an alarm for 2 hours and woke up 4 hours later. dizzy, deliriously tired... it took me a half hour before I could open my eyes without feeling sickish. nothing accomplished. the rain is now torrential, the wind is whipping, the flock never got a Pie, it's too late to check for more eggs... but the lilacs are actually blooming, the hosta have shot up inches and the peonies have tiny buds! all this in one day!

2 Eggs today!! The RIR was being ridiculous following me everywhere, trying to get inside the house to the lounge. Crazy chicken!! Turns out she needed to lay an egg:D Proud chicken mama:)

Last edited:
Congrats WeeNicole!
thumbsup.gif

we got 2" of rain overnight. so I got up early to make sure Big Broody was okay. I put one extra tarp up, but it ripped... she had a significant amount of water in her kennel. she was soaked, the eggs were damp, but very warm. don't know... changed out her bedding, and dried her off as best and as quickly as I could. she was back on her eggs in about 10 minutes. it was in the upper 30's - the eggs were still warm, but I am no longer holding out a lot of hope for the hatch. we'll have to wait and see. poor Mama.

Gotta figure that happens in nature... But what will be will be. So sorry that happened. It's crazy how attached you get to even eggs.

I found someone on CL who is looking to trade an Egyptian F. for a silkie. I totally thought about it because I already have squirt and it'd be nice to get a larger egg layer. But I can't give up nugget! He's just too cute. Not sure how I'm gonna sell any babies if I hatch 'em. But if I keep the mindset that I have to sell them then I should be ok.

Always fun to have a new layer WeeNicole!!!

Lindz sorry about the few chicks but boy are they cute!!!

MC love your turkey pen!!! Mine isn't as nice but I'm in love w the new setup. I have the dog crate in the pen so now I feel comfortable leaving them in it full time now! You know what that means???? NO MORE CHICKENS IN THE HOUSE!!!! Yayayayaya

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom