Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

one more of the jerk

Hello all! I have been reading this thread for a while...definitely one of my favorites! I think everyone that is waiting for eggs needs to make a PIE for their girls. I had been waiting, waiting and waiting for eggs...on June 20, I decided to make a pie for them:

It was a delicious concoction of a cantaloupe shell, the seeds, some oatmeal, some yogurt, and of course it had to have a face! My girls devoured it. Then when I came home from work, I had my first egg (a 21-week old EE). Of course, once she started laying, the other girls followed suit. Now I have 7 of 10 laying. I am very anxious for my exchequer leghorn to start laying...she will be my first white egg layer. Now that she is around 22 weeks, I think it is PAST TIME! So I made her a pie this morning (she did have to share with her friends). Fingers crossed!!!!!

Oh...there has been pie. there has been LOTS of pie.

Greedy jerks. Just just snarf it down and look at me expectantly. When they do that, I've take to pointing at the nest box. I have yet to try eating some KFC in front of them...that's on the agenda for tomorrow if there is not an egg in the box by noon.

Hello again everyone.... Yet another question... I'm not sure if you remember me or not (hopes you do). I'm pretty certain I have a roo now!!! The girls are still not laying yet but the one I guessed was a roo is biting them on the back of their neck and mounting them.... At what point are they fertile? Will this mess us their starting to lay??
The good news is, once the hens allow him to mate, it means they are really close to being ready to lay. The squatting that many talk about is actually squatting for a rooster. My friend has a rooster with her hens... he mounted them for about 2 weeks before she got her first egg. The eggs are fertilized, but as long as they are collected regularly, you won't notice any difference. Hope that helps!

one more of the jerk

Well good, that's for sure a cockerel. I have a white leghorn hen that mounts the other girls
barnie.gif
so at least your jerk is a male and doing what comes naturally! I don't think it will cause any delays in the pullets starting to lay. Just make sure that boy is not a jerk to you or any other people.

(The Jerk is one of my favorite silly movies.
tongue.png
)

Hello all! I have been reading this thread for a while...definitely one of my favorites! I think everyone that is waiting for eggs needs to make a PIE for their girls. I had been waiting, waiting and waiting for eggs...on June 20, I decided to make a pie for them:

It was a delicious concoction of a cantaloupe shell, the seeds, some oatmeal, some yogurt, and of course it had to have a face! My girls devoured it. Then when I came home from work, I had my first egg (a 21-week old EE). Of course, once she started laying, the other girls followed suit. Now I have 7 of 10 laying. I am very anxious for my exchequer leghorn to start laying...she will be my first white egg layer. Now that she is around 22 weeks, I think it is PAST TIME! So I made her a pie this morning (she did have to share with her friends). Fingers crossed!!!!!

Congratulations! You should call your recipe Magic Pie since it worked so well.
smile.png
It's actually fun to get a rare, exotic white egg. Enhances the other colors!

Well good, that's for sure a cockerel.  I have a white leghorn hen that mounts the other girls :barnie so at least your jerk is a male and doing what comes naturally!  I don't think it will cause any delays in the pullets starting to lay.  Just make sure that boy is not a jerk to you or any other people.

(The Jerk is one of my favorite silly movies.  :p )
Lol it's one of my husbands favs too! He has bitten me once but that's because I had to grab him cuz he got out of their yard, he gets out about twice a day and has taught a few of the girls also but at the moment we don't have the money for mesh to fix the problem so I'm just going to have to keep working on my chicken wrangling skills lol

Ahhhh I'm so smart!!! Or stupid for not realizing this til now!!!!

Squirt wants to be a momma and I've debated hatching more polish frizzles but I already have. 5 olive eggers coming in 2 weeks and I am really done w babies....BUT I just realized that if I let her sit on a couple eggs for the next two weeks I can prob give her the babies when they arrive. Then she gets to be a momma and I don't have to have chickies in the house!!!! Win-win

Welcome back mrs loris!!!

Welcome savannah!!!!!!!

love the Pie! and for sure, Magic for working so quickly!

the "jerk" cockerel may not be fertile yet, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want practice... and like the others said, it's a good sign if they're letting him as it does indicate they are closer... if they are dodging and running away, they still need some time, but his presence won't change when they start.

did I say I was worried that Peach might want to steal all the chicks for herself? cuz sometimes, outdoors, she is a bit hoggish with them, although the 2 chipmunks tend to stay with Sillie...

not rubbing it in mortie - just too pretty to keep to myself - you'll have eggs so soon!!

Very nice Cheeka...makes my brown eggs look boring. Looks like the hens are doing great sharing the chicks....so cute!

Back
Top Bottom