Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

OK I checked. They turned 23 wks today..the 23rd. *twilight zone music* so that's alright. The breeder said around 23 weeks. I thought they would lay as soon as I left for vacation to spite me but maybe they will wait til I get home!

OK I checked. They turned 23 wks today..the 23rd. *twilight zone music* so that's alright. The breeder said around 23 weeks. I thought they would lay as soon as I left for vacation to spite me but maybe they will wait til I get home!
mine hatched the 13 of March, and just got my first egg from this group I think Tuesday. Then an egg a day after she took one day off. Her sisters are all squatting and singing egg song, I'm on nest duty to see if they lay one, I wanna know who lays what!

Another pleasant surprise, my buff Brahma that I swore was a boy at 3 weeks has started squatting for me. He's about 20 weeks and should lay soon habahaha

Congratulations!!!   That was fast.  I was going to reply that they would lay soon and they did!    :p  

Yes very soon after the post. I was glad it was clean and a good quality shell. Does it only get dirty after it is layed or possible on the way out to?

Here is a picture of Rumples permanent pen. Its not much, but she barely uses 10% of it. Also a picture of part of the pen for the other girls.

You can see Rumples next to the door. That is where she sits all day long. At night, she hobbles to the other corner to sleep with Little Bit.

On my Scrambles55, mine looks like child's play compared to yours.

Quote:
Part of the oviduct extends out through the vent when the egg is laid, so it's clean until then. Any dirt/poop on an egg will be from outside the chicken. Although I have found the occasional egg with a bit of blood on it. It's harder to keep the eggs clean when it's rainy and their feet get muddy.

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
hmm.png
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
tongue2.gif
TWO!!
And Nugget squatted for me today. I also got the feather shake from her after I scratched her tail. I really thought that Jemma would be the first, but who knows... She could surprise me.
fl.gif
Come on chickies.... lay some on me.

I'm afraid I still have defective chickens. Nothing but the two little bitty eggs in ten days from eight girls of laying age. Definitely defective... or lazy.

Back
Top Bottom