Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

So this is has been a busy few weeks! This is a pic of my old chicken coop where I had 9 chickens.

This is their new coop and big fenced area to play in. Plus we got 1 new chicken, a blue ameraucana, for a total of 10 now. Did some dove hunting

And then last but not least started on a new project. Went and bought quail Saturday and put them in small coop! Phew

Oh and what's the easiest incubator to use that's not going to cost an arm and leg?
The genesis 1588 with the auto turner.

If you buy it from GQF, they often have a special with quail eggs. Order by phone and ask for cots. They start laying egg at 6 weeks old.

My girls are going through a light moult and the 6 of them are still laying 5-6 eggs a day. I know a lot of you are still waiting for eggs, so I know this will sounds weird, but I kind of wish they would slow down some to give their little bodies a rest. They have been faithful egg machines for well over a year now and deserve a break. Does anybody else ever feel the same way, or am I just nuts?
No, I felt that way too. 4 of my hatchery birds, that laid soooo well during their first year, seemed to have burnt out quickly. Buff orp stopped laying after the first year, but seems healthy, leghorn quit completely after the second year, and sweet golden sexlink and beloved barred rock have recently died at 2½.
sad.png
I think I will hatch eggs or try to find pullet culls from breeders when I'm ready for new layers. There are lots of great people within a couple of hours drive.

Before returning t the house tonight, I asked the turkeys f they needed anything. They gobbled. I asked if they were okay then. They gobbled. I find turkeys very amusing! also find that looking at them makes me hungry.
droolin.gif
This city girl sure is changing!
1 from the Leghorns
3 from the brown layers
1 or more broken eggs
0 from the horses
0 from the cats
0 rom the dogs
0 rom the unicorns
0 from the goats

hide.gif
I am having way too much fun with that. I will stop.

What about your dragon??? She should start laying soon, since the unicorn is being stubborn.

TNchickenmom, the new coop looks fantastic. They will be really happy in the bigger run. What kind of quail did you get? I've heard great things about them, both for eggs and meat.

TN love the set up on both the old and new! Coops!!!

I have two brinsea incubators and I love them. The first hatch every egg hatched from it (I have the one that holds 7 and auto turns and the one that holds 20 but is manual). Both are so simple to use and seem very reliable. Not sure of cost compared to other bators.

Well, I face planted going into the chicken coop last night trying not to get rained on. I have a big scrape on my arm and a big knot below my knee. At least it wasn't in the run or I may have been attacked before I could have gotten up! Lol.... needless to say I am sore this morning!

Back
Top Bottom