Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

About 4 hours North up next to Va. We are about 4 minutes from the state line.

Just saw your FB page and the quote: "Welcome to our simple crazy country life! Our journey with raising 4 kids on a small farm in North Carolina the way our grandparents did it!"

Good for you!! As Michael Pollan says, " ... the wisdom of our grandparents might have more helpful things to say about how to eat well than the recommendations of science or industry or government."

This is our first year with meaties. I mean we have processed extra cockerels but not specifically raised chicks for the freezer. I'm amazed at how fast they have grown in just a week! I'm hoping to get them into a hoop coop by the weekend and then when they get some feathers we will start free range during the day. I'm not sure exactly how long we need to raise them yet but have heard anywhere from 6-12 weeks.

We processed ours at 6 weeks, and they were small, but delicious. I had no qualms with it...zero attachment, mainly bc they were kind of gross. My friend did hers at 8 weeks, which was a better size, so this years will probably be done about the same time. All right, nobody judge, but processing day is a family experience. Our 9yo plays an active roll. We want him to understand where his food comes from.

Most likely we will be processing between 8-9 weeks. I plan on the 7&8 year olds helping as well. Even the 2&4 year olds know that we eat our chickens and where they come from. I don't think it is bad at all! Our 3 batches are going to overlap a little bit so it is going to be important to process fairly quickly so we can rotate them between coops.

OK. This is the super fun game I started my morning with. Ready? Here we go.

Where's the hawk?

Ugghh oh no Mortie! I hate Hawks! My girls have been free ranging for a week now and no sightings!

Lindz and savannah I love that you include the kids! I would too if I had kids but for me it's just a hubby/wifey bonding time!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom