Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

savannah, you just brought back a great memory of Mylee from her last visit!  couldn't find her, called, she said she's in the kitchen... I noticed the fridge door was open... she was sitting on the bottom shelf, kissing the eggs.

What a sweet girl you have there. I know you can't wait to see what she does on this next visit!

Our new chicken tv

We gotta work on these babies. They are so scared of us. My son is the chicken whisperer, so I'm not worried.
Is the dog drooling? Maybe that's what's scaring them!
lol.png

Why the hell did my eggs didn't hatch tell now
1f62d.png
1f625.png
it's already the 21th day today and non had come out, only one egg started to move from the noon tell now
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f494.png

The meaties are definitely a big undertaking. I am filling the feeder twice a day and I have two quart mason jar waterers that I am having to fill two or three times a day. They are also little poop factories and I will have to re-clean tge brooder coop when I get them moved into the new hoop coop. We will manage though!
I am going to try to get individual pictures of Bertie's chicklets in a little bit. Not really feeling great so I am lazing around today.

Hey, there! How far are you from Franklin or Hayesville? I'm just over the GA state line.

About 4 hours North up next to Va. We are about 4 minutes from the state line.

@lindz8504 Have you had meaties before? We had them last year. Overall not a bad experience. We loved the free range chicken. We just don't have enough space here. My best friend got some that we are splitting. The deal is she takes care of them and feeds them, my DH processes them. It's a sweet deal for me!

This is our first year with meaties. I mean we have processed extra cockerels but not specifically raised chicks for the freezer. I'm amazed at how fast they have grown in just a week! I'm hoping to get them into a hoop coop by the weekend and then when they get some feathers we will start free range during the day. I'm not sure exactly how long we need to raise them yet but have heard anywhere from 6-12 weeks.

Last edited:
This is our first year with meaties. I mean we have processed extra cockerels but not specifically raised chicks for the freezer. I'm amazed at how fast they have grown in just a week! I'm hoping to get them into a hoop coop by the weekend and then when they get some feathers we will start free range during the day. I'm not sure exactly how long we need to raise them yet but have heard anywhere from 6-12 weeks.

We processed ours at 6 weeks, and they were small, but delicious. I had no qualms with it...zero attachment, mainly bc they were kind of gross. My friend did hers at 8 weeks, which was a better size, so this years will probably be done about the same time. All right, nobody judge, but processing day is a family experience. Our 9yo plays an active roll. We want him to understand where his food comes from.

Why the hell did my eggs didn't hatch tell now
1f62d.png
1f625.png
it's already the 21th day today and non had come out, only one egg started to move from the noon tell now
1f629.png
1f629.png
1f494.png

Give it a bit longer. 21days is the target but I've had chickens hatch sooner and later. Movement in the egg is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom