Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Knock on wood, I have yet to have a broody. We collect eggs throughout the day, so they don't usually have a clutch to sit on. And the last time I left them for an extended period of time, the snake ate the eggs before there got to be too many. I don’t know what I would do with a broody…definitely not give her eggs. DH says NO MORE!!! (till next year).

Beautiful weather here…we are actually having a spring right now. Most of the time this time of year we are already in the 80s. 70 and breezy today. DS has Spring Fling at school tomorrow. Just a day of fun for the kids and parents and the kids get to show off by doing some routines. The 5th graders dance around the May Pole – definitely a lost art!
This girl is sitting on nothing--She is just a broody machine!

The only rooster I have weighs about a pound. He tries, bless his little heart, but even the Serama eggs are not fertile. The broody in question, Buster Posey, is like Mt. Everest by comparison. Hatching is not gonna happen. I have too much difficulty parting with the extras anyway.
hmm.png
On a happy note, all the other broodies have given up. Oh wait, Penelope serama might be on the nest. She can sit in a broody cage today too. Flock gets so grumpy and irritable when there are so many broodies. Much calmer and quieter when everyone is out running around.

Hey everyone not much going on around here. Lots of babies with the Mamas and the meat chicks are really getting big. I processed the rooster last week because he kept beating up the girls. Its really quiet around here without him! I may go this weekend and pick up a new one! BYC isn't letting me post pictures again but there are lots over on the FB page!

Last edited:

certainly not a good photo, but Esther quit. Gretel, an almost 8 month old pullet has been sitting on nothing for 3 days. I switched them. Esther is happy to be back home and Gretel squawked her head off while she took over the eggs... they are 1 week along, so fingers crossed! I was hoping to have chicks hatching the day Mylee is due to arrive...

my transmission is shot. quit on me yesterday, got the bad news this afternoon. was hoping it was just the torque converter... oh well. I have a humongous truck that I hate to use for mail, but I at least have that.

No. I buy all the supplies I need. Clothes, diapers... I bought some swim diapers a few weeks ago. The washable kind. I'm not spending more $$ for disposable swimpers that have to be changed each time I put her in the pool. They can also be sold if I want to.
Looks like I need to buy sunblock and a hat. Maybe some sandals. I said I wasn't going to, but the alternative is never taking her outside.
When she woke(she arrived sleeping and covered) I discovered she was just wearing a onesie. I have socks and bibs. I don't have shoes that fit. That's okay. She learned what bare feet in the grass feels like.
I spent some time this morning planting tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. They were in those biodegradable pots, and half dead. I'm hoping the other peppers, strawberries and apple tree are okay for a few days. I don't have a baby monitor (also on the list of things to buy) so I can't go outside to plant them. I'll have part of Monday (I think) and Tuesday to do that before getting Jazlyn again Wednesday.
I'm glad to have her. I just didn't deserve that surprise. I wouldn't have agreed if I'd been told it was three days after just giving her back Thursday.

MC, don't you wish you could just adopt her? You're being more of a mom anyway, and she's sooo cute.
love.gif
Have fun with her. Can I ask, what is your relationship to her parents?

Yesterday we got a couple of tomatoes in, plus cucumbers, and kale. Going to do beans, lemon cucumbers, squash, more tomatoes and basil today. Also need to plant my pomegranate treelets. Wish there weren't so many darned rocks in the soil. Takes forever to dig a hole to plant trees.

she's doing great, but man... she shrieks if I even come in the room. all I'm trying to do is replenish her feed and freshen her water. maybe pick up a poo... I know you can't tell, but she is so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom