Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Maybe caused by a tumor? She seems heavier than last year.
That can happen because the heat does not pump the fluids too well.

It could be a tumor too though. Get a shipping box ready for cahfs.ucdavis.edu

remember to use the UCD shipping code for fedex--It is a big discount.

I wasn't planning on a necropsy for her. She's a 3+ yr old hatchery Leghorn who quit laying last year. I think it is related to her breeding and don't like to use the resources if there really isn't a big concern. If it was a younger bird or more than one was having a problem, I'd do it in a flash. I met one of the UC vets who did demo necropsies at a poultry event in Santa Rosa last year. Very interesting stuff.

I wasn't planning on a necropsy for her. She's a 3+ yr old hatchery Leghorn who quit laying last year. I think it is related to her breeding and don't like to use the resources if there really isn't a big concern. If it was a younger bird or more than one was having a problem, I'd do it in a flash. I met one of the UC vets who did demo necropsies at a poultry event in Santa Rosa last year. Very interesting stuff.
You could do it yourself--you could easily see tumors and the condition of the organs. The lab test would not matter.

I am with you tough on the old ones with symptoms like you are seeing.

She had a great life!(and may live quite a bit linger).

So sorry for your loss
sad.png

More chicken drama!

I went home for lunch today, and found my youngest EE dead. She was 15 mo. old. Didn't see signs of predators or mites. Might have drowned, as it has rained a lot here.

RIP Happy Feet
sounds like my 2 chickens we do have the de for them to bath in

Happy Friday everyone! It was uncomfortably hot yesterday, 90º yuck, and only a little cooler today. Hopefully we are not seeing a preview of a super hot summer. That along with the drought would make a for a terrible wildfire season. Last summer was very mild, only a few days in the upper 90s and I don't think it ever went over 100.

My new cuckoo Orp pullet has turned into a broody zombie. She's only about 6 or 7 months too. I have a zombie busting cage set up, and today will be day one for her. She is not going to be happy, but hopefully will come back to life quickly. I will have to find my old bike helmet when I make the move so she can't eat my brains!

Happy Friday everyone! It was uncomfortably hot yesterday, 90º yuck, and only a little cooler today. Hopefully we are not seeing a preview of a super hot summer. That along with the drought would make a for a terrible wildfire season. Last summer was very mild, only a few days in the upper 90s and I don't think it ever went over 100.

My new cuckoo Orp pullet has turned into a broody zombie. She's only about 6 or 7 months too. I have a zombie busting cage set up, and today will be day one for her. She is not going to be happy, but hopefully will come back to life quickly. I will have to find my old bike helmet when I make the move so she can't eat my brains!
I have a blue barnevelder from juststruttin that went broody last year and was an excellent mom. She is acting broody again just this morning. I may giver her a dozen eggs if she sticks with it.

Knock on wood, I have yet to have a broody. We collect eggs throughout the day, so they don't usually have a clutch to sit on. And the last time I left them for an extended period of time, the snake ate the eggs before there got to be too many. I don’t know what I would do with a broody…definitely not give her eggs. DH says NO MORE!!! (till next year).

Beautiful weather here…we are actually having a spring right now. Most of the time this time of year we are already in the 80s. 70 and breezy today. DS has Spring Fling at school tomorrow. Just a day of fun for the kids and parents and the kids get to show off by doing some routines. The 5th graders dance around the May Pole – definitely a lost art!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom