Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I"m sorry to hear that Ming......I sure hope it doesn't effect your flock.... :fl

Thanks, I should be OK, it was about and hours drive away from me and there is a six mile exclusion zone around it and the birds were culled. It wasn't a very pathogenic strain (H7N7) so there is little risk to consumers.

However the place I was going to buy the new hens from is in Preston and has decided to stop selling birds until further notice :(

I went shopping yesterday, and came back with a 12-month-old. I began vacuuming, and she cried. So I gave her some goldfish crackers. I finished vacuuming, and she decided to crush the remaining crackers into the carpet. I need to vacuum again.
I put a clean sheet on her mattress, gave her a bath, and put her to bed. Her diaper leaked. I gave her another bath, and rewashed the bedding.
Toddlers really do like repetition, don't they? Lol!
This is the first time I have seen her since I got the bathtub wall redone. It was nice not having to worry about the mold around the tub! Also, I bought her some foam letters/numbers. She can put them anywhere. The old wall was wallpapered. The blocks wouldn't stick.
When I went to take my shower, I actually felt relaxed just seeing the toys in the tub. It felt so right! Silly, but true.
No eggs yet, but the song is getting louder.

Ha ha! I knew today's song sounded real! Not sure how long it took for the three. I'm guessing it was only one or two girls.
They were on the floor in a corner under the boxes. The true color is slightly pinker than pictured.

The chickens were pretty good about going back in tonight. They did wander to a new area of the yard, but as long as they go towards the hunting camp, and not the other way, it's all good.
I don't know if they were easier to put in because it was getting dark, they really wanted some scratch, or if they are understanding the routine. I know I felt like I was encouraging Jazlyn to walk as I was putting them in. I would shake the can to encourage them, and when they would walk towards me without stopping to eat, I would croon at them to say how great they were. When they would stop, I would say, "C'mon! You can do it! Keep walking."
lol.png

Despite not being able to buy birds due to the ban, which will hopefully be lifted soon. I want to think about what birds I'm going to get in my flock.

I only have room for one type of Wyandotte (Bantam size) so I want to know your opinions on the different types. I have to choose between Silver Laced, Blue Laced Red, Buff Laced, Barred and possible Gold Laced.

If you also have any opinions or experiences or any of the following breeds, they would be appreciated :
(Buff, Blue, Silver, Gold or Barred) Wyandotte
Buff Laced Frizzle, Gold Laced or Tolbunt Polish
Chocolate or Black Orpington
Salmon Faverolles
Welsummers
Cream Legbar
Gold or Double Silver Laced Barnevelder
Wheaten Marans
Silkie (a variety of colours - White, Black, Gold and a few other I can't remember)
Welbar
Brahma (Dark, Gold, Lemon Pyle)
And a variety of hybrid hens - Rhode Star, Amber Star, Black Rhode, Bluebelle, Calder Ranger, Daisybelle, Speckled Star, Sussex Star, White Star, Buff Barred and Partridge

Please also post photos of them as well as egg pictures

Jazlyn just helped me collect egg number four. She carried it halfway to the house before trying to eat it. I can't blame her. Five new teeth in as many weeks. Three are still pushing through.
If it was a store egg, I would have been grossed out. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom