Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Last week I introduced two new 6 month old hens to my existing two one year olds. There has been a lot of clucking, chasing and head pecking going on, and I have tried to stay out of it, mostly. I especially feel bad for poor little Alfalfa at the very bottom. She is not even red in the face yet and she constantly is crouching in the submissive squat. No blood so I was told it is ok, but is so stressful to all of us! How long will this last? It has been a week already!

i have 2 coops side by side with a fence in the middle, when we get new ones we put them in one coop alone right now we have 7 babies about 5 weeks old and they can see each other all the time, when they are as big as the olders we will open the gate so they can go into other side it has worked for us, they have seen them and talk through the fence, and we have no fighting this way, our one yard is 50 x 50 the smaller one is 20 x 30.

Howdy all..... I have been MIA for a few months. I have over 600 posts to catch up on. I will do that next week. My computer took a dump and I lost all of my files and software.
rant.gif

In a nutshell..... Rumples chicks from earlier this year are now laying and Rumples is sitting on some eggs that are hopefully Olive Eggers. I had given the eggs to Lil Bit when she went broody, but moving Lil Bit to the dog crate cured her.
Jemma is on her last leg. I think that she is laying internally and we have decided to cull her. Right now she is as comfortable as can be in a cage in the house.
It has been incredibly hot here. 30+ above normal and there are wild fires all around us. The worst is the Capehorn fire.

Back to my chores....
frow.gif

thanks for all the compliments on the book and the idea of it... it's been fun seeing reactions. I will definitely make more.

we're doing okay up here, it's been raining for about 6 weeks, only a few nice mornings, or afternoons, but since I lost Stella, I've only let the dome out once, 5 days ago, and today, I let the bantams out. that's enough for me to keep track of! I so hate that fox. got me real jumpy.

on other fronts, I may have Lyme. crud. work it terrible, and ole BH is banging on the door because the house never sold.

thanks for all the compliments on the book and the idea of it... it's been fun seeing reactions. I will definitely make more.

we're doing okay up here, it's been raining for about 6 weeks, only a few nice mornings, or afternoons, but since I lost Stella, I've only let the dome out once, 5 days ago, and today, I let the bantams out. that's enough for me to keep track of! I so hate that fox. got me real jumpy.

on other fronts, I may have Lyme. crud. work it terrible, and ole BH is banging on the door because the house never sold.

Awww cheeka, I sure hope you don't have Lyme's ......but if you do, hopefully they catch it in time and you make a quick recovery.....I'm sorry to hear Stella....guess everyone has lost 1 or 3 to those ****** fox this year. If you want to sell your house: Bury a St. Joseph statue upside-down in your yard, facing toward the for-sale house. After the house sells, the seller is supposed to dig up the statue and place it in a spot of honor in their new home. Can't hurt!? Hopefully the rain will stop for awhile now!
fl.gif

Dh's uncle passed this morning. He was supposed to die two or three years ago, but it was surprising because he supposedly just had an UTI. No news yet about funeral arrangements. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to go or not. I did find out from an aunt that its common knowledge we are "split up". That is actually news to me. Anyway. The girls still aren't laying. I heard one singing again today. Maybe next week.

Dh's uncle passed this morning. He was supposed to die two or three years ago, but it was surprising because he supposedly just had an UTI. No news yet about funeral arrangements. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to go or not. I did find out from an aunt that its common knowledge we are "split up". That is actually news to me. Anyway. The girls still aren't laying. I heard one singing again today. Maybe next week.

My condolences to you and the family.

Me too motorcyclechick, I'm sorry for yours cheeka's loss .
I think one of my RIR mite be singing (not sure what the song sounds like) but she's been squaking alot lately... Can't wait had to get some from a friend.

Here is a picture of my new coop. I have a 20 x25 fence around it as a run, plus the small, covered run you see in the picture. The girls spent the first night last night in it together. It was so cute to see them all together on the roosting bar when I went out for beak count...

Me too motorcyclechick, I'm sorry for yours cheeka's loss .
I think one of my RIR mite be singing (not sure what the song sounds like) but she's been squaking alot lately... Can't wait had to get some from a friend.

Well if she's a squawkin' she'll be a layin' soon....lol...that what mine did and I have RIR's. You'll know....sounds like someone is killing them...LOL....it's loud!

Back
Top Bottom