Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

thanks ron, I've been taking chelated calcium and potassium for the past couple of years. mostly because I cannot stand milk, which I call milyuck, and I cannot stand bananas. mealy and slimy... I can't swallow them. I must not be absorbing it anymore. so frustrating. and painful. I just started drinking plain kefir with fresh strawberries blitzed in... hoping it helps give me a better source of calcium that I can somehow get my body to take in.

my Penny chicken that had the low hanging crop is doing much better - I've made sure she gets her fair share of grit and she hated the Vet Wrap, but I made her wear it until yesterday. she's not high stepping anymore and her crop looks so much better, her wound is closed, featherless... but healing nicely

Did you change brands of calcium recently? There may have been a change in the formula if the one you have been using does not work.

Look for a different brand. One review said that if your calcium pills quit working, get a different one to try.

Double up on them too. also, When you have the cramps at night, chew a couple of tums. My Wife went through this recently because of the tumor that was removed. Her body can now rebuild calcium because the tumor has been removed so she needs lots of extra calcium. She was not getting enough and had cramps that went from her toes to her neck. I got to watch a couple of those and they were terrible! I had her toss the calcium she was taking and got her one from Amazon that had good reviews(Number one best seller). I also had her chew tums if she felt the first level symptoms of low calcium--tingling lips and numbness on the face. It worked! No more rolling cramps.

Be careful, but no salt salt substitute is potassium chloride. Magnesium oil is a fun way to get Magnesium.

Last edited:
sometimes, when there is no rooster... a dominant hen can take on the role. she's still a hen, she is not morphing into a male. hopefully, she'll revert to her natural behavior soon

MC... hang in there hon! life is full of challenges and we have to meet them.

@MotorcycleChick
Sorry that Ihave been missing from this site. Lately, I have been so tired from working 9 and a half hour days, that i barely have the energy to check on the chickens and now the garden. I have been sick with a vicious cold since Monday and shows no sign of letting up.
Water in... snot out... Nyquil is kicking in, so....:th

Rumples has her fertile eggs thanks to firedragon1982. She did not even growl, fluff or peck at me. She just greeted me with her usual cluck cluck. She has a clean pen, food and water. The wait begins. Pure joy..... for Rumples
springsmile.gif
Yay! Eggs for Rumples! Spring is really here when you hatch chicks!

My layer flock does not have a rooster, and one hen would actually go through the motions of mating with the other hens. She still laid eggs and didn't crow, but must have felt compelled to fill a void. Some hens will make crowing sounds after a rooster is removed from the flock, but you can tell it's not quite the same sound. My Seramas are now without a rooster, but in a few weeks they will get a replacement cockerel. Little Bueno. He has a lovely soft gurgly crow.
smile.png

He's not much to look at, but such a sweet boy. I'm sure he'll improve with age just like his papa.

Back
Top Bottom