Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

good to know, thought they were like the Mourning Doves we had in NY, we have a few here, Chester tends to run them off. I love guinea pigs, but with 3 dogs and now 3 cats because Wrangler got to bring her Lu Lu kitty to Colorado (cutest little tiger tabby, really small cat named Lucy) I imagine the poor sweetie being confined to a cage too much.
fl.gif
it won't be long til we have chickens...

oh yes, no one would make her relinquish her pet, for one so young, she has already undergone many many changes in her life. every bit of stability is essential for her well being, Lu Lu is so bitty and sweet. because Wrangler spent the last few months sleeping in my room in NY, then in my new room here, then I was gone for 10 days, she continued to sleep in my room with the dogs... it wasn't easy to convince her she should sleep in her new room. which is really cool ~ it's in the front of the house, has a split level A-frame shape, looks like a spaceship to me... with additional lengths at the inside section (for a desk on one side and play space on the other) that look like wings... so the last couple of nights, I start out on her spare bed, with Chester, and she has the pugs. once she's solidly asleep, I slip down to my room. the dogs have stayed put with her. I brought up a fresh water bottle for her early this morning, adjusted her blankets and she woke momentarily, very happy. she loves her room, but I don't mind staying with her til she's asleep.
today, we go to Denver, hope to be on the road by 10, we'll hang out at my folks for a while, feed the ducks at their pond, my dad and my cousins have a golf date, so while they do that, we'll go to the pool for the afternoon and then we'll all have dinner together. it will be kind of a long day, we'll get home a bit late... but it should be lots of fun. the dogs should be fine, since there's still too much stuff that Peri can get into and chew, we close off a lot of the rooms...but the plan is to start her at PetSmart obedience training on Monday.

can't believe it's only day 27 in Colorado. feels like it's been months. what a whirlwind! I'm glad for the break today, swimming makes my body feel less pained. no impact exercise with good resistance... I need to get on the ball this week, find a pain mgt group and a physical therapist.

Sounds like it's all going great for you. Have you met any of the neighbors yet? Any chickens nearby?

Weather is feeling like autumn here. Temps topping out in the 70s with cool foggy mornings, which I love. The tomato plants, on the other hand, are very unhappy. I hear them cursing and complaining and demanding electric blankets. I am pretending I cannot hear them so they will think I am crazy and leave me alone.

you're funny :>)
Autumn in Sonoma already?
Weird weather - still Summer in Yreka
I don't have a garden for the hens to destroy this year, maybe I'll go check out my neighbor's garden, he's off on a fire in WA

you're funny :>)
Autumn in Sonoma already?
Weird weather - still Summer in Yreka
I don't have a garden for the hens to destroy this year, maybe I'll go check out my neighbor's garden, he's off on a fire in WA

We are getting the westerly breeze off the ocean, and it's keeping things lovely and cool. Usually the first part of Sept is very hot, but they are predicting this cool pattern to stick around. I can't complain. The tomatoes have that covered! Chickens have their own big yard, but I have to fence the garden off from the dogs, of all things. They will eat my kale, beans, and peas, the beasts... pull down the the vines and everything. For a whole summer, I was convinced it was raccoons or skunks at night, until I caught Scooter with some evidence caught on his fuzzy face... piece of bean leaf! Bean thief! No deer in our back yard to worry about, but have to fence the dogs out!!
barnie.gif

Is Yreka as hot as Redding? I suffer in that kind of heat. Like to stay closer to the coast. What kind of chickens do you keep up there?

Only hell is as hot as Redding - but yes, Yreka gets almost as hot :>) We only got up to 106 this year. I couldn't live in Vegas.

I moved up here from Fremont last year. I have 1 Silver Laced Wyandott, 2 Cochins, and one EE (that's Pecker)

We had a Lab X that loved tomatoes and peaches. I had to build a fence to keep her out of the garden, too! I wanted to let her keep the birds out of the fig tree, but Britt wasn't trainable or trustworthy enough. Before her I had a Shepherd that couldn't care less about the garden, but would eat the peaches that fell. Britt would jump into the lower branches to get at 'em.
The figs suffered terribly.
Also coons would maul the apricots. I think they'd come all the way down from Mission Peak to raid my garden.

Back
Top Bottom