Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Short hair makes it harder. :p A buzz cut is the only thing that will help.
Pulling the nits down long hair is hard. Shorter hair is easier. If you do not get all the nits every day you get lice back. Like treating lice in chickens, you have to treat again in 7 to 10 days.

Hello! It's been mighty quiet around here. Is everyone still in a turkey dinner stupor? I can hardly believe it's December. Another year has blown by, and I guess I blinked a couple times... seems too fast.

Happy to report that my little Serama hen, Junior, who had the closed and swollen eye that I took to the vet is doing pretty good now. I think the antibiotics almost did her in... she quit eating, lost a lot of weight and could hard stand. I didn't give her the last dose, forced some water with electrolyte and probiotics, and she kind of perked up the next day. She is much stronger now and eating well. I think her eye has healed enough that she can see too!:yesss: When I walked into the garage, she was peering at me with her left eye! (the bad one) so I am hoping she can return to her peeps up at the coop soon. Still want the eye to clear up more, it's a bit cloudy, so am continuing with her eye drops. I guess taking her to the vet was worth it!! :)

I put Junior, the Serama, back up in the bantam coop this afternoon. Everything went well... the rooster was very excited to see her. You should have heard them chatting together, so sweet. Since everyone was getting along, I left to get them some fresh water, and sure enough, a fight broke out! Junior got jumped by another hen who is broody right now. Junior was trying to defend herself, but Stumpy was being very aggressive. I know Stumpy started it and now I know how Junior's eye got injured. She had a bite mark just above the same eye! Dang Stumpy. There was some swelling and a little blood blister, but at least it missed the eyeball this time. Poor Junior.

Junior got to stay in the coop...
20171203_171442-jpg.1201910

... with her prince charming...
20171203_171356-jpg.1201911

and some other friends.
20171203_171238-jpg.1201912

Stumpy is going to get a couple weeks of solitary confinement... see if we can't adjust her attitude.
20171203_171929-jpg.1201913

I put Junior, the Serama, back up in the bantam coop this afternoon. Everything went well... the rooster was very excited to see her. You should have heard them chatting together, so sweet. Since everyone was getting along, I left to get them some fresh water, and sure enough, a fight broke out! Junior got jumped by another hen who is broody right now. Junior was trying to defend herself, but Stumpy was being very aggressive. I know Stumpy started it and now I know how Junior's eye got injured. She had a bite mark just above the same eye! Dang Stumpy. There was some swelling and a little blood blister, but at least it missed the eyeball this time. Poor Junior.

Junior got to stay in the coop...
20171203_171442-jpg.1201910

... with her prince charming...
20171203_171356-jpg.1201911

and some other friends.
20171203_171238-jpg.1201912

Stumpy is going to get a couple weeks of solitary confinement... see if we can't adjust her attitude.
20171203_171929-jpg.1201913
I do that with broodies to break them. It usually works.

I am glad that the bite missed the eye.

Do you have the vetericyn for eyes?

Back
Top Bottom