Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Happy New Year!
Wrangler had an amazing Christmas, she got the dollhouse she has waited for for 2 years... and 4 pairs of shoes - dressy with heels...boots, flats and sneakers. There's more, but those got the tears, and squeals of delight... Then she got sick, fever, clogged sinuses and earaches in both ears :sick
This is how she spent New Year's eve
1230171951a.jpg

My big gift - a parakeet that hatched on Dec 3! I just actually got her 2 days ago, figured on having to hand feed for a week, but she started free feeding during yesterday's breakfast. Flew right back to the cage, and landed near the feed cup, with enough formula on her beak to allow a few bits to stick when I gently nudged her face down.
She learned how to fly properly yesterday as well.
Meet Peekablue!
0104181246b.jpg

I'm saying female bc she has a fairly flat head. There were 4 in the clutch and she looks distinctly different from the others with their sleek round heads. If I'm correct, and she is a girl, perhaps within a year or so, I might look for a store bought, unrellated male...
Not that I'm a huge fan of keeping birds indoors...gotta say how lovely it is to not endure the elements to care for her!!!

Happy New Year!
Wrangler had an amazing Christmas, she got the dollhouse she has waited for for 2 years... and 4 pairs of shoes - dressy with heels...boots, flats and sneakers. There's more, but those got the tears, and squeals of delight... Then she got sick, fever, clogged sinuses and earaches in both ears :sick
This is how she spent New Year's eve
View attachment 1227568
My big gift - a parakeet that hatched on Dec 3! I just actually got her 2 days ago, figured on having to hand feed for a week, but she started free feeding during yesterday's breakfast. Flew right back to the cage, and landed near the feed cup, with enough formula on her beak to allow a few bits to stick when I gently nudged her face down.
She learned how to fly properly yesterday as well.
Meet Peekablue!
View attachment 1227563
I'm saying female bc she has a fairly flat head. There were 4 in the clutch and she looks distinctly different from the others with their sleek round heads. If I'm correct, and she is a girl, perhaps within a year or so, I might look for a store bought, unrellated male...
Not that I'm a huge fan of keeping birds indoors...gotta say how lovely it is to not endure the elements to care for her!!!
Happy New year!

Sounds like a good time minus the illness

Howdy everyone. Hope the new year is going well for all. It's been pretty quiet here, so thought I'd post something interesting that I put on a different thread to see what you all think.

So, last week I was lamenting all the chicken droppings on my newly washed down patio when I noticed something odd about a couple of them. So of course I went for the camera for documentation.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Pinky-purple poops are coming!

If you are eating or have a weak stomach or just don't want to be grossed out...

SKIP THIS POST.

You have been warned!

Ever seen anything like this?
20180107_162847-jpg.1232852

20180107_163011-jpg.1232855

20180107_163244-jpg.1232858

And the final one had a tape worm segment on top and several underneath. Grooossss!
20180107_163330-jpg.1232860

These pics are not altered in any way (those who know me know I am technologically disinclined and incapable of altering). The chickens have been in this part of the yard since late October, and there is nothing growing that would cause this coloring, nor have they been fed anything new... no treats other than the same bag of scratch we have been working through for months along with their layer pellets. Only the uric acid part of the poop is colored when it's supposed to be white. The rest of the stool looks normal. The only thing new, in the 5+ years I've had chickens here (besides the purple color!) are the tape worm segments I found on and under just one of the purple poops. Never had worms here before. Also, the majority of that afternoon's poos were completely normal colored, so only a few chickens were affected.

Any ideas? I did a little research and have an idea, but wanted to see if anyone else has ever seen anything like this. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom