Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Wow MC, your new house guest sounds like a huge responsibility. And unpleasant to boot. Oy vey! I always wonder if people like that are just really unhappy and spreading their misery, or if they really enjoy being a pain in the fanny. Either way, it's very sad and not much fun for you.

Just remember, people will treat you the way you allow them to. You don't have to be mean or nasty, but draw your line in the sand and don't let anyone cross it. If you can stay neutral and impersonal, the person will soon give up. But as soon as you react negatively, they can sense weakness and continue going for the kill. Chickens, especially roosters, know all about this. Think of her as a skinny old molting broody (deserving compassion), but you are top of the pecking order (deserving respect), and will let her into your flock, but she needs to know that you are the head hen! Isn't chicken psychology great?!

Hehehee If she gets means, you can start squawking at her.
D.gif
Maybe she'll behave herself if she thinks you're bonkers!
tongue.png
Go Fowl Power!
yippiechickie.gif

Take care of yourself.
hugs.gif
We're all here for you.

Wow MC, your new house guest sounds like a huge responsibility. And unpleasant to boot. Oy vey! I always wonder if people like that are just really unhappy and spreading their misery, or if they really enjoy being a pain in the fanny. Either way, it's very sad and not much fun for you.

Just remember, people will treat you the way you allow them to. You don't have to be mean or nasty, but draw your line in the sand and don't let anyone cross it. If you can stay neutral and impersonal, the person will soon give up. But as soon as you react negatively, they can sense weakness and continue going for the kill. Chickens, especially roosters, know all about this. Think of her as a skinny old molting broody (deserving compassion), but you are top of the pecking order (deserving respect), and will let her into your flock, but she needs to know that you are the head hen! Isn't chicken psychology great?!

Hehehee If she gets means, you can start squawking at her.
D.gif
Maybe she'll behave herself if she thinks you're bonkers!
tongue.png
Go Fowl Power!
yippiechickie.gif

Take care of yourself.
hugs.gif
We're all here for you.
X2
goodpost.gif
If it does get ugly Roger said she would get involved. But all of your friends here gave you good advice, Try that first.

I have a problem as well. Apparently a certain someone who loves venison likes to snitch on the deer that visit us. Sounds like she is saying " Shoootem" Shootem" when she sees them. Trying to get my attention i'm sure but the deer don't like it. She screams then runs and hides in the coop. Several times they have approached the coop and of course she is too "chicken" to come out of hiding inside of the coop. I can't or won't shoot them just because she thinks she can eat them all. I'm sure she would give it her all and try but her eyes are bigger than her stomach. I'm sure the deer can see the bones of their ancestors littering the run and her lack of respect for their remains. I wish she wouldn't do that but well she is.........Roger

gig.gif
You guys are too funny!
The chicks kept me up all night. I watched them drop (and I do mean DROP) to sleep, but then someone would jump up, and pounce! Then everyone was awake, and chirping. I am so tired!
Aunt Lee (the woman must be named. DA is not accurate unless it was "darn aunt") is trying to be nice to me this morning. Not that it will last. Well, lots of prayers are being said by me for my situation as well as everyone else.

I have a problem as well. Apparently a certain someone who loves venison likes to snitch on the deer that visit us. Sounds like she is saying " Shoootem" Shootem" when she sees them. Trying to get my attention i'm sure but the deer don't like it. She screams then runs and hides in the coop. Several times they have approached the coop and of course she is too "chicken" to come out of hiding inside of the coop. I can't or won't shoot them just because she thinks she can eat them all. I'm sure she would give it her all and try but her eyes are bigger than her stomach. I'm sure the deer can see the bones of their ancestors littering the run and her lack of respect for their remains. I wish she wouldn't do that but well she is.........Roger

My only thought would be for you to get a dog (or 2) to keep the deer away.

But then Roger would probably have carnivorous intentions toward the dog.

Nevermind.

Sort of off topic: Have you ever seen Roger drool? When I bring treats out to the mob they act like salivating, slobbering hounds, but where I would expect to see a veritable lake of drool, there is none. Wonder if Pavlov ever tried anything on chickens. He was probably too scared.

gig.gif
You guys are too funny!
The chicks kept me up all night. I watched them drop (and I do mean DROP) to sleep, but then someone would jump up, and pounce! Then everyone was awake, and chirping. I am so tired!
Aunt Lee (the woman must be named. DA is not accurate unless it was "darn aunt") is trying to be nice to me this morning. Not that it will last. Well, lots of prayers are being said by me for my situation as well as everyone else.

There are ceramic "light bulbs" that are used for reptiles. Same basic shape and concept, but they don't give off any light, only heat, so maybe your babies would be more inclined to sleep if it was dark. I was going to get one for the Serama chicks, but they are so quiet, I decided to use the red light that I already have. When we start breeding/hatching eggs in earnest, I will definitely invest in a ceramic one.

Glad the Woman-who-must-be-named is putting forth some effort. Perhaps you can find out her favorite treats- chocolate, cake, venison, meal worms (oops, I keep turning her into a chicken!)- and set up a reward system. Classical conditioning; it worked for Pavlov!

the sun was sort of out when I got home, and it wasn't too windy, but it's cold... the weatherman said that the sun is going away, replaced by heavy clouds, won't see it again til Monday... and it's supposed to snow more. I wasted no time, I grabbed some seeds to lure them out, but no one stayed out long, maybe 15 minutes

Royce and Blu flew to the top of the dome... walked back and forth several times, crowing and cackling... I think I heard something about migrating to W4W's place... for better weather, with a planned stop-over at OK's for some of Roger's venison.

they thought about coming out too, and as you can see, a few of them are over the threshold

they said the heck with all that ice! it's funny, they don't know anything but winter... I would think that they would explore a little

Wilma and Betty BR's, were both snug in the nest of the apple coop. I presume they are warming several other eggs while they wait for their own... I have to go back out to check in a little while.

Last edited:
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
forget it. I am tired, and not doing 13 dancers.
tongue.gif

I may look into a reptile bulb. They are driving me crazy.
Aunt Lee was being bossy today. I cannot get her past the idea that eggs do not have to go straight to the fridge when I bring them in! Ms. Keep Margarine On The Counter Until It Gets Moldy.
I can deal with the other crap (for now) that she was doing today The eggs will be a problem. I COULD keep them in the fridge, but it is still Winter! Come warmer weather, the coop fridge will be plugged in, and the eggs will go in there.
Anyway, going to bed. Goodnight all.
Oh, and she hates chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom