Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

MC, Peach doesn't pull her breast feathers, she pulls from her underside tho'... makes more room for chicks I guess, and this way they can't get all tangled up in the fluff... it's amazing how much room she has under there considering her size to begin with...

I have a total of 27 chickens. 4 Roosters. 20 laying hens, and 3 chicks that are as close to "pullet" as anyone's guess... if I end up with any more boys, I will have to make room in the freezer. I can make choices... let go of one of the older boys to keep a new one...

it's so hot already. I sacrificed a bag of frozen peas to the cause of keeping them cooler. we're supposed to get a few severe thunderstorms this afternoon through tomorrow, so I let the gang out for a few hours this morning while I did my outdoor chores. once it got really hot, it was easy to round them up to return to the shady dome. what a difference as well, keeping the boys in their own pen. the girls are so calm and relaxed... easy going... it stinks that it takes 3+ months to grow feathers back... the older girls are recovering nicely, but they still look so ratty with their bald backs.

with the storms in the area, Mylee's connecting flight from DC was cancelled and the airlines are not rebooking for Albany before Tuesday. that's no good, we need to be in Massachusetts Tuesday. so, her Dad rented a car and they are on their way again. they should get here around midnight.

12 eggs as of 4 PM, and Peach is trying to teach her chicks how to hop from the ground to the kennel and then up to the roost. it's rough going but I know she'll succeed!

MC, Peach doesn't pull her breast feathers, she pulls from her underside tho'... makes more room for chicks I guess, and this way they can't get all tangled up in the fluff... it's amazing how much room she has under there considering her size to begin with...

I have a total of 27 chickens. 4 Roosters. 20 laying hens, and 3 chicks that are as close to "pullet" as anyone's guess... if I end up with any more boys, I will have to make room in the freezer. I can make choices... let go of one of the older boys to keep a new one...

it's so hot already. I sacrificed a bag of frozen peas to the cause of keeping them cooler. we're supposed to get a few severe thunderstorms this afternoon through tomorrow, so I let the gang out for a few hours this morning while I did my outdoor chores. once it got really hot, it was easy to round them up to return to the shady dome. what a difference as well, keeping the boys in their own pen. the girls are so calm and relaxed... easy going... it stinks that it takes 3+ months to grow feathers back... the older girls are recovering nicely, but they still look so ratty with their bald backs.

As much as I don't need more chicks, I will lay some eggs by Midnight. I just hope Beth doesn't take them. I will give her three. Less waste if something goes wrong.
I have 3 chicks that are 4 weeks tomorrow, 6 (one roo) that are 12 weeks, 9 (2 roos) that are 8 weeks, 3 roosters and 13 hens. They are all between 9 and 14 mos.
I have been getting about a dozen eggs a day. With the broody hens, I am seeing more low days. I am also getting ticked with the EE in with the Marans. They haven't laid in over a month, and are as healthy as can be.

Little Roger
helping her mom lay a egg.

Time to eat.
Little Roger
is the one looking at you

Pullet or Rooster?

I really wanted a Delaware hen. Am I out of luck?

I need this one

to be a hen

Little Roger
helping her mom lay a egg.

Time to eat.
Little Roger
is the one looking at you

Pullet or Rooster?

I really wanted a Delaware hen. Am I out of luck?

I need this one

to be a hen

I think you have a pullet with this last one... the others do look further along with their combs. terrifically cute tho' and I'm more adept with pea combs, so here's to hoping for more girls!

Matthew and Mylee have made it to the NJ Turnpike.

Matthew and Mylee have made it to the NJ Turnpike.
celebrate.gif
So glad they didn't let a little rain massive thunderstorm stop them!!! They should be there soon. Have fun!

Good grief I have another broody!
th.gif
Cadbury, the one with a cross beak, is broody now. I took all of her eggs, and pat her on the head. If I let her go, she would die. She is doing well with fermented feed, but she would either have to eat several times a day, or spend a lot longer eating than she would be willing to. So, she would starve.
I looked in on Beth and Midnight. Midnight had moved to Beth. They are kinda cuddled. I put one egg in the other side of the nest box. If she sits on it by morning, I will give her two more.
I candled my incubator eggs. I see movement. They were due today, but I will chill out until tomorrow .... Oh! It is tomorrow! Ha ha.
OK, you do have a chance with the last, but ... IDK. Doesn't look good.

they are here!!!! I'm so happy! and so tired...! they had an 18 hour day travelling so I will post my pics in the morning!

MC, i'm a sucker for special needs critters myself. you're doing good by Cadbury. Good Luck with your hatch!!!

they are here!!!! I'm so happy! and so tired...! they had an 18 hour day travelling so I will post my pics in the morning!

MC, i'm a sucker for special needs critters myself. you're doing good by Cadbury. Good Luck with your hatch!!!
woot.gif

Good grief I have another broody!
th.gif
Cadbury, the one with a cross beak, is broody now. I took all of her eggs, and pat her on the head. If I let her go, she would die. She is doing well with fermented feed, but she would either have to eat several times a day, or spend a lot longer eating than she would be willing to. So, she would starve.
I looked in on Beth and Midnight. Midnight had moved to Beth. They are kinda cuddled. I put one egg in the other side of the nest box. If she sits on it by morning, I will give her two more.
I candled my incubator eggs. I see movement. They were due today, but I will chill out until tomorrow .... Oh! It is tomorrow! Ha ha.
OK, you do have a chance with the last, but ... IDK. Doesn't look good.
My very skinny broody (wheaten X buff Ameraucana) finally got off the nest! It's been over two months and she is a bags of bones. Got an egg from her today, though!. Unfortunately, her half sister (wheaten Am) has decided sitting on the nest is the thing to do.
barnie.gif
She is getting put in the broody cage so hopefully it won't last too long and she'll keep some weight on.

Back
Top Bottom