Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Cheeka I love reading about her, Mylee is a treasure [​IMG] , I bet she will grow to be an amazing young woman.

2. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC

So are you telling me not to get the BR bantam eggs from my cousin? Lol..... SHE wonvt be happy about the negativity... and you are already going to be in trouble for all the attention RKbroody is getting!

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    It really surprised me, but I know folks who successfully hatch refrigerated fertile eggs from the grocery store. They try to get the freshest eggs possible to get better hatch rates. It's a very inexpensive way to practice with a new incubator. So give it a try, not much to loose! Definitely have to let them warm to room temp first.

4. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Good heavens, Janet, you have been so busy and sounds like there is still a lot left on your plate! I have an idea... I think you should pen Rebel and Bo together and let them duke it out. Mano a mano. Maybe they can teach each other a lesson! Or you could just invite Rebel to dinner. [​IMG]

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

6. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    yep lindz, according to a lot of Old Timers, you can use refrigerated eggs. just let them warm up first!

wow Janet, sounds like a super busy week!

it's a lovely cool morning here... wish I didn't have to go to work... but I'm going. [​IMG]

7. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Ok, so Amelia was one of the first ones out this morning, and she went about her day foraging and trying to figure out the new pecking order.... So Clarabelle is still Miss Broody by herself! She has 5 eggs under her, but is having a hard time keeping them all covered really good. She really has to pancake herself!

Wow, in the middle of writing I glance out the window and see a hawk in the treeline! A BIG HAWK! Are Red Tailed Hawks big enough to carry off a full grown Buff Orphington? We still haven't seen any sign of Bertha.... Anyway, out the door I go to check on everyone. The Golden Comets and Amelia run out from under the porch and walk with me back down to the coop. I felt like a security detail! LOL..... Everyone else was crammed underneath the coop. Clarabelle and the brooder babies were oblivious in the coop. Once I got down there, everyone chilled out and came back out to forage. I made a bunch of noise and threw rocks and sticks in the area I saw it land, and didn't see it anymore. Clayton is now watching out the window on Guard duty (which he is taking very seriously for a 5 year old!)
    [​IMG]

Anyway, back to my original post, should I candle the eggs and see if any are developing? And if so, when? And how do I do it? Will she get rid of any bad ones herself? I am really not sure how all of this works!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    [​IMG]
    "Gotta keep these eggs covered!"

[​IMG]
    "Hmm... this looks interesting! What did she bring out for us this morning?"

[​IMG]
    The brooder babies were ravenous this morning! They kept arching up attacking my hands as I was trying to feed them. They wouldn't even look up for pictures! LOL[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bertha's egg- Fertile?

[​IMG]
    Amelia's egg- Fertile?

I fixed 16 eggs this morning for breakfast... I didn't get a bite of them. My 4 kiddos ate all of them! If they are eating 16 eggs by themselves and the oldest is 6 and youngest is 15 months , what are they going to eat at 16?!?!?!?!?!?!?! At this rate, I don't think I have enough chickens! Although, we don't usually eat eggs everyday, it is a quick and easy breakfast, so I may start fixing them some eggs before school.... hmm, something to ponder...

[​IMG]

OH!!!!!! I sent hubby by a Ollie's Bargain Outlet, and had him pick up some linoleum for the floor of the coop... He was able to get a 6'x8' piece for $18.... Here is what the roll looks like! I can't wait to clean the coop this weekend and get it put down! I think it will be alot easier to keep clean than the plain plywood! Hmm... wonder if you could put it on the walls too? They have made a huge mess since they want to roost on the top of the wall rather than the actual roosts we put in...

[​IMG]
    Cheeka, you are flooring the house, and I am flooring the coop! Now which one of us has a chicken problem? LOL[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  9. Reina Rana

Reina Rana Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    North Mississippi
    Have had an interesting day today with several firsts....
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure that we got our first duck egg today....son found one of our duckhens sitting on a small pile of eggs with this one. It just looks and feels different than all the other eggs; smoother, less visible pores, shinier.
    -first day with more than 18 eggs (19)
    [​IMG]
    First ginormous egg...we've had a few xl and jumbo...some that are almost round. For reference, one on the right is at least an xl.
    [​IMG]
    Part of today's loot. Enormo-egg is bottom left, may not. Be tall, but sure is wide!

Oh yeah, and....
    [​IMG]
    First cast ever...! Stress fracture (with a few *itises" in there) from walking...yes, walking. Sigh...this won't fit in my chicken boot.

10. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Regarding the hawk. It won't carry off a large chicken. However it can kill any chicken you have. The hawk will eat what it can eat and leave the rest laying there. The fact that it is hanging around should alarm you. It intends to kill one of your chickens for a meal. Just waiting for the right opportunity. Now here is the problem. Watching out the window will not keep the hawk from killing a chicken. When he decides who will be his next meal he will kill the chicken when he makes his strike. You won't get outside in time to save the chicken. The force of the hawks strike will kill the chicken upon impact usually by breaking its neck. To compound the problem hawks are birds of prey and are protected. So you are not supposed to shoot them. However from my understanding most veteran chicken keepers say their chickens are protected too. They don't go into details. I won't guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by