Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    I was taking picture of the chicks.... and Brutus hopped right up. he hung out for quite a while
    [​IMG]
    the whole family was taking a sunbath. I got a bunch of pictures... I have to touch them up, the sun was so bright it washed them out a bit
    [​IMG]
    my Pie Assistants for the day... they have to sample each stage of preparation...
    [​IMG]

11 Eggs today and the meal worm farm is loaded with fresh worms! we'll have another harvest in the morning!

I'll get chick pics up in a little bit

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    this is Tufty Chick... she can perk up those feathers... it's so cute
    [​IMG]
    she's got them perked up in this shot, still a bit washed out, need to put them on the laptop, better photo programs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one of the boys
    [​IMG]
    both of the boys, too bad I cut off the face... but that's the one in the previous pic
    [​IMG]
    the other pullet and Sillie Silkie
    [​IMG]
    Tufty is gonna be a cutie! Mama dug up a bunch of really big grubs! and she got one all to herself, it was fun to watch her shake it and peck at it and gobble it up!

I didn't have as much photo time as I would have liked today... didn't get the details I wanted like their feathered legs... but they all have 'em.

3. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Lots of nice pictures cheeka[​IMG]

4. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]RK Broody will beat the bator
    you'll learn the truth sooner or later.
    the pay out my friend, will be in Pie
    the Pie's you'll owe will reach the sky!
    the flock is counting on Broody
    pay no mind to
    Roger, she's moody...
    expect eggs in the nest and admit defeat in this race...
    or else! you'll end up ~ with egg on your face!

6. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I knew from the get-go, that hawks were going to be one of our main predators around here. I didn't think that it was big enough to carry off a large chicken, but I wasn't sure either. We are planning on building a covered run this weekend. I first thought that we would free-range and just deal with the occasional loss now and then. What I didn't really count on was multiple losses at a time! I mean, I knew it could happen, but was expecting that type of predator loss to happen at night. It didn't. It happened between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. I also knew that there really wasn't anything I could do to stop it if it really wanted to get a chicken, but thought that possibly I could make it a little more difficult, and maybe keep the casualties to a minimum. As far as my son watching out the window, it made him feel better that he was taking care of his chickens! Who was I to tell him any different? LOL

7. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

8. okallthis4eggs

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I feel pretty good about my chances. But RK is a rock solid broody. Still to this day I have not caught her off of those egg not one time. So I will win [​IMG]

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I looove Tufty!!! When we were kids, none of the chickens got named except for one... Mary-chicken. Don't remember where she came from, but Mary-chicken was some sort of barred Polish cross and was super friendly (unlike most of the others who were more in the look-but-don't-touch camp). Her crest was awesome, poofy and round but swept back from her face so she had no trouble seeing. She would ride around on your shoulder and snatch her share of whatever food you might be eating. I'd be a happy camper if I could get another Mary-chicken! What is Tufty's cross?

10. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    Tufty is a Marans cross, she's a Mama's girl but she'll let me take her picture. the other Marans X pullet is so cute, but hides under Mama, or in the lilac, or behind Tiny Sillie... OEGB Brutus is people possessive friendly. He flew up on my neighbors head. only fair... the neighbor is on his property after all...
    13 fabulous eggs today, but still no egg from Blu. I have to get a pic of her, she is really beautiful with her new feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by