Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Quote: Two Weeks Have Passed......7 Days To Go
Got Your Silly Machine.....But I'm A Broody Pro
I Won't Get Up.....You Might Steal Them Or Cheat
Just Turn That Thing Off.....And Admit Defeat.
RK Broody

Not A Chance RK .....I Will Challenge To The End
Now Don't Get Corrupted....By Your
BR Friend
You Will Get Your Prize.....Its Pie You Know
But First You Must Win.......There Is Five Days To Go
OK

So How Is Your Styrofoam Box Of Air.....Have You Lost Electric Yet?
And Watch That Humidity......You Don't Want Them Soaking Wet
It's Time For You To Get Nervous......Me I'll Just Sit Here Some More
It's Down To The Nitty Gritty.......The Day Count Is FOUR
RK Broody

Last edited:
Pteranodon2.jpg
Maybe one of these??? :D Folks out here frequently have chickens killed by red tails, including my neighbor, but there is always evidence left behind. Some of the larger 4 footed predators can take a large bird without a trace if they make a clean catch/kill. Very cute! I have my SOP copy from the library and will look to see what I can find about a Dutch breed. Are you turning into the rooster-rescue lady? :D Or do you have other plans for these guys? I realize how much I enjoy having a rooster around, even though he only weighs about a pound. Haha!. Their personalities are so very different from the hens and they are great fun to watch. What a relief! I always do a head count at night, but then I only have 11 in the coop so it's pretty quick. Wonder what happened to make her not go in with the others? Sometimes I get concerned when everybody races over for PIE and one is missing. Other than being on a nest, the only thing that keeps them from PIE is being in a warm, dust bathing stupor. It's like their in a trance!
smiley-confused009.gif
Something may have scared Ethel into hiding. They will stay hidden for a long time if it's traumatic enough. Remember my friend with the traveling curse who went to the Bahamas at the beginning of Aug? You'll notice there were no major storms during that time. I thought the vacation curse had been broken... but no, my friend broke her toe instead!! :rolleyes: It's always something! They still had fun though.
:th Wow, bless her heart, err...toe! Goodness, well, there may be something to it.....just glad we got back from AK without incident......still, I'm thinking I need to stay in touch with you, just so I can keep an eye on her travel plans, heehee :lau Kinda spooky.....:/ Chirp

th.gif
Wow, bless her heart, err...toe! Goodness, well, there may be something to it.....just glad we got back from AK without incident......still, I'm thinking I need to stay in touch with you, just so I can keep an eye on her travel plans, heehee
lau.gif
Kinda spooky.....
hmm.png
Chirp

lol.png
I think you're safe. They enjoyed the Bahamas, but won't be returning. It was really expensive there. Over a hundred bucks for a simple burger dinner for 4. She brought a suitcase of food, so they only ate out one meal a day. Since Hawaii is closer and has better diving they'll go there next time, so you are out of the path of danger.
big_smile.png

So How Is Your Styrofoam Box Of Air.....Have You Lost Electric Yet?
And Watch That Humidity......You Don't Want Them Soaking Wet
It's Time For You To Get Nervous......Me I'll Just Sit Here Some More
It's Down To The Nitty Gritty.......The Day Count Is FOUR
RK Broody
Oooooo, RK Broody is talkin' trash! She's taunting you, OK.

Bad RK Broody! No pie for you!

:lol:   I think you're safe.  They enjoyed the Bahamas, but won't be returning.  It was really expensive there.  Over a hundred bucks for a simple burger dinner for 4.  She brought a suitcase of food, so they only ate out one meal a day.  Since Hawaii is closer and has better diving they'll go there next time, so you are out of the path of danger.  :D  

Ruh roh, DH always wanted to go to Hawaii....

I've been before, 3 weeks of paradise, but....now I think I'll persuade him to go somewhere else, heehee. Well anyway, it'll be a couple of years.

Geez, didn't know Bahamas were soo expensive. We do the tote our own food/snacks thing when we can, too.

We took those powdered drink mixes, tea, lemonade, etc. to AK with us. Tremendous help on costs of drinks, from the airports, trains, buses, hiking etc. We took our water bottles, empty of course, then would fill them up with water, add mix.... once cleared through secuirty etc.

It will be interesting to monitor your friend's travels and resulting weather formations. It's like you have your own personal weather forcaster. giggle. :lau Chirp

lindz, I get $2 a dozen. it's fair for my area. although, some people charge $2.50 or $3. my folks, who live in Denver, pay $5 a dozen for eggs like ours... and I have a friend from high school out in Central California, she pays $6 at the farmers market. it needs at the least, to cover it's equal daily feeding cost... plus a little extra. it costs me at minimum 85 cents a day to feed my laying hens. most days I get a dozen eggs... so I make enough to pay to feed the girls, and enough to feed the boys so they are not a burden on the budget. speaking of the boys... W4W , yeah, I have a problem. I love the boys more than the girls... and I adore the girls... I've learned that boys can easily live in pairs or more, the 4 I got from Stillwater live happily together... for now anyway... but pairs have worked here very well...and they free range well together, there is enough space for everyone out in the yard...they have their corners staked out and take turns parading for the hens. I am addicted to the sound of crowing. and now I have pitches ranging from very high tinny comical all the way to deep raspy tough ole bird. it's music to my ears. we made PIE's today. yes, pieS. pigs got 2 of them and pecked those platters clean! better give us more than 8 Eggs tomorrow for our efforts! I stopped at my favorite farm stand today and the lady asked me if I'd like a watermelon for the little girl... we were surprised to find out that it was yellow inside, her very first! I like the yellow better, more flavorful, like a honeydew... after her treat, I put her in the bathtub, she was SO filthy... I should have hosed her off outside first, she had dirt streams everywhere from the melon... she likes being grubby girl. I had to bring out the germX and a roll of paper towels to wash her hands and face up enough to touch food. she refused to come inside.
Hey Cheeka, I sure would like to get some of those "pie" recipes you all make. They look great. Our birds would go bonkers over them....anyone have a minute or two to jot down the ingredients/layer/stacking/filling strategies???? Yumm yummm :pop Sure would appreciate the tips! Chirp

good morning all! it's totally foggy this morning! more thunderstorms coming this afternoon... so it looks like we may not have free range today... we'll make it better with Pie...

Cricket, Pie can be made with anything you have on hand - I buy Ramen Noodles for the gang (Mylee likes it too...) but since I'm not allowed to eat it... it's great for Pie, they go crazy for the noodles like giant worms! I just put a brick of noodles in the bottom of a bucket, then put other stuff on top to hold it down a bit... stuff like feed, seeds (BOSS, millet, safflower...) or kitchen scraps - and fill the bucket with hot water. let it soak for 15 minutes or so... and the noodles are cooked, the feed is mushy the way they like it... and I pile it on a platter to serve, top with some of Mylee's unfinished fruit or cereal or more seeds.... then there are "dry" Pies, with mostly kitchen scraps... have some fun with it, the chickens Love them... and begin to expect them
roll.png
and will maul you whenever you come outside...
gig.gif

good morning all! it's totally foggy this morning! more thunderstorms coming this afternoon... so it looks like we may not have free range today... we'll make it better with Pie... Cricket, Pie can be made with anything you have on hand - I buy Ramen Noodles for the gang (Mylee likes it too...) but since I'm not allowed to eat it... it's great for Pie, they go crazy for the noodles like giant worms! I just put a brick of noodles in the bottom of a bucket, then put other stuff on top to hold it down a bit... stuff like feed, seeds (BOSS, millet, safflower...) or kitchen scraps - and fill the bucket with hot water. let it soak for 15 minutes or so... and the noodles are cooked, the feed is mushy the way they like it... and I pile it on a platter to serve, top with some of Mylee's unfinished fruit or cereal or more seeds.... then there are "dry" Pies, with mostly kitchen scraps... have some fun with it, the chickens Love them... and begin to expect them
roll.png
and will maul you whenever you come outside...
gig.gif
Now that just sounds like fun! I've just been dumping things in a pile...I have not been a very good chicken Momma, heehee. :oops: This would also be a hoot to do when the nieces/nephews come over. Great ideas! Thanks, Chirp :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom