Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    little tufty chick got out of the pen somehow... and she has been eaten by something. just a pile of feathers left outside the pen wall. poor baby.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Waaaahhh! Not Tufty! [​IMG]

3. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    At 5 weeks, a raspberry pink comb is usually a cockerel. To hard to tell for sure from pics on a monitor. Sparring and raised hackles is common for pullets too, so doesn't necessarily mean cockerel. You should see my Serama pullets in action! Looks like a cock fight!

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Beautiful cabbages! My girls just love them. Usually I'm not bothered at all by bugs on the veggies, especially if going to the chickens - extra protein and all that. At least if you can see a few bugs you know you probably aren't eating pesticides, which worries me more than the occasional creepy-crawly.

I say usually, because when we were in Hawaii, I got some lettuce from a farm market that was covered in little just-hatched slug-type critters. No amount of washing made me feel safe enough to let the boys eat any because the slugs can carry Rat Lungworm Parasites [​IMG] which can give you a rare form of meningitis. And, of course, we were in an area where the problem is known to exist (Puna/Hilo). What's a little pesticide compared to rat lungworm larvae? Gory details at http://www.hawaiihealthguide.com/healthtalk/display.htm?id=732

5. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    THREE [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]THREE......Today We Laid Three Eggs. It's Too Hot. That's All You Get. Besides You Forgot The PIE

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    Nine Eggs... dropped two, then broke two more, but the broody pen has been so reinforced it's ridiculous. no more losses. no real gaps to escape from down low even if there are some chain link areas to squeeze through, it's hardware cloth on the outside of that... unless it went out the chain link up high by the end of the roost... there was one spot possible, they've just discovered the roost over the last few days. it's blocked off now. had to be Tufty...[​IMG]

8. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    So sorry cheeka...
    Good luck Ok. Isn't today hatch day or is it tomorrow?
    I can't keep up!
    I am getting ZERO eggs... both my hens that are laying decided they want babies instead.

9. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Sorry Cheeka [​IMG]

10. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    16 eggs today! Woo hoo! Wish I knew why so many aren't laying. Glad the new girls are picking up the slack! Or am I? 222 eggs, minus six dozen, plus 30.
    -----
    150 eggs
    +30
    ------
    180 eggs

12/180=15 dozen eggs. I am giving DH's aunt (the best customer) 2 days, then I start cooking and baking! She was supposed to ask a restaurant owner if they wanted eggs. They buy by the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by