Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

those first weeks of crowing are comical... the sounds the boys can make are quite "off", but I really like it. there is quite the chorus of boys sounding off here right now!
Guess mine has nobody to learn from. But he is trying. I couldn't figure out what that noise was I kept hearing
lau.gif

Hi All,

Been away, had lots of catching up to do! Cheeka, so sorry about the little one! They seem to slip through the smallest places!

OK-Congrats on the hatches! I have loved reading about the adventure! Can't wait to hear the final count, for both sides. I would guess RKB would accept the chicks at anytime, based on how good you say she is on the broody front. I am not sure if it is a breed thing but, the OE I got at auction adopted all 20 chicks I got. I initially started her with 10 (thinking 20 might be a bit much), then I took them away to sex them and gave her 10 pullets (at least I think they are pullets). Some of which were in the initial batch of 10 she was taking care of. This was after a week of caring for the initial 10. She had no issue with the musical chicks.

Lindz-I believe it depends on the breed, which I couldn't even fathom a guess, when they start to crow. I had roos crowing as early as 12 weeks, and they all started crowing before the girls started laying!

I have questions again! For those of you that free range, where do your chickens lay their eggs?? I have an area that is difficult to get to to search for eggs. I am having a tough time trying to figure out this egg laying stuff! I thought it was going to be easy! I know I have three layers, but I am only getting 1-2 eggs a day, and for the past two, none. I let them out around 9 am, they free range for a little while I do the horse stuff, and satellite chicken stuff, then I lure them into the run (aka, chase them around it until they go in). I put nest boxes in the run that they have used in the past. I totally stripped the coop yesterday and cleaned out all the nest boxes. I cleaned it so well, they didn't want to go in last nite. I am wondering if they are laying in some secret location that I haven't found yet, and I am feeding the local wildlife
barnie.gif

My other question is about feeding. I have been buying organic, corn and soy free, feed. There is more feed on the ground than, I have to believe, in their bellies! I do make PIE for them, daily. What do you all feed? And for those that feed the FF, where do you get the ingredients (like the oats and stuff)?

Thanks so much!

Three chicks and a pip at 5:18 AM. Looks like I might be 4 for 4.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Fantastic! You're having a great hatch. Can't wait to hear how many
jumpy.gif
RK Broody ends up with.

It's the best of both worlds this time. Got to see some chicks hatching out and you don't have to brood them!

Were these Delaware eggs from the same breeder as before?

Cheeka, how far back did you give info on the FF?

Sully, quick thought about the feed (have to make lunches and get the boys to school).

Do you use pellets? I was giving mine crumbles and thought a lot was ending up on the ground, so switched them to pellets and it seems like less waste. Also, just recently tried the non soy/corn feed, and they are eating much less, so am assuming the food value is better as they are certainly not thin. Haven't tried fermented yet.

Sully I would totally switch to pellets like W4W mentioned...huge difference for me.

Here is some FF feed advice. http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/05/why-and-how-to-ferment-your-chicken-feed/
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html
I think the way cheeka feeds with wet mash also helps them to eat more and waste less.

Welcome back.

I had trouble a few weeks with finding hidden eggs..best bet is to keep them locked in coop longer to force them to understand where they should be laying...I barely ever get an egg out of place now. It took them time, but eventually I figured out to keep them locked in longer and to give them proper places to lay. Every time I add hay or clean the coop they think twice before entering. I noticed when I change the shavings in the nest boxes they switch which box they use too.

So I am going away for the weekend, to let someone else turn my eggs or to let them rest two days?
Decisions Decisions...

a Sun Dappled Dust Bathing Fully re-Feathered Blu, her blue is darker, and she has a lot of blue on the top and the back of her head... love her!
So, I came around to take a few pictures and refill waterers, and look who I found in the hen house!

I call dibs on the kids room!

Sillie Silkie is in it's first awkward stage... moves so fast it's hard to get a pic! the door is not locked, that's why it looks so gappy... it's cuz I'm inside

the remaining pullet with one of the cockerels and Sillie... I sure hope Sillie is a pullet...

so after Mylee came out of the hen house, I took a look for eggs... and found Stella inside, taking a dust bath, completely undisturbed by the uninvited visitor... they have really torn into the ground under the coop... it's surrounded by stuff on the outside, to protect them from compromising their own safely, but their pit is about 8" deep! probably only another 1/2 inch before bedrock anyway.

I have to make one more check for eggs, but I have 12 so far...

Sully - mine have supervised free range, and the hens usually return to the dome if they need to lay during free time. I did find hidden nests in the lilies, but since they finished flowering, they were looking ratty because the gang was always scratching around... I cut them back. the gang has feasted on lots of great grubs and bugs since it's all accessible now...

handyman power washed the exterior of the house and garages today, looks so great

Back
Top Bottom