Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Oh, and more pictures please.
smile.png

Oh, and more pictures please.
smile.png
I will get more pictures this afternoon. Making the big move to the broody coop where the boxes are on the floor. Easier for the chicks and the rest of the gang can get back into a routine in their area. They been staying in the broody coop for now since RK Broody set up shop in their favorite nest box. I didn't want to move her so I just gave them the broody coop. The last chick is still in the incubator and I will move it out to its mommy this afternoon. Clean up the incubator and get it ready.....I mean sell it.

OK Congrats on the awesome hatch! Chicken math strikes again!! That is exactly how I started with the chickens too! I am up to 43! I will be removing all but one boy which will put me down to about 30! I hope I have enough customers to sell the eggs to, once I actually get eggs! I have 5 BR's, I call them the Mean Girls!

They're not all mean!
hide.gif
Spot is a paragon of BR henliness. She's just a little loud, and demanding, and is always underfoot trying to trip me, and she doesn't lay as many eggs as the others because she's a busybody and doesn't want to miss anything that's going on outside. But she is never mean.
smile.png

In fact, if it weren't for those few little minor flaws, she'd be practically perfect in every way (like Mary Poppins)!

I'm changing my name to Mary Poppins.

My BR's aren't mean either, in fact, quite the opposite. Betty is not quite as sociable as Wilma, but both are gentle, while holding top spots in the order of things. they are the reason why I want to add good quality heritage BR's to my flock. the best have barring that is dizzyingly beautiful.

we are having major thunderstorms. so we made Meltaways - cream cheese/powdered sugar candies, they are setting up in the fridge, we can eat them around 7ish. they taste like vanilla cream cheese frosting - very sweet, we have some leftover, and can made buckwheat pancakes in the morning and spread some on the hot cakes... a few drops of food color turned the batches different colors - Mylee's are pink, mine are green, guests get yellow and we have blue for the handyman - he has a sweet tooth...

only 8 Eggs today, and we ate 5 of them for dinner.

OK Congrats on the awesome hatch! Chicken math strikes again!! That is exactly how I started with the chickens too! I am up to 43! I will be removing all but one boy which will put me down to about 30! I hope I have enough customers to sell the eggs to, once I actually get eggs! I have 5 BR's, I call them the Mean Girls!

The BR is a special needs chickens. Needs more camera time.....Needs more food.......Needs more attention.......Needs more attention........Needs more food...........Needs more attention.......FOOD.....ATTENTION. I broke out the camera and she couldn't get enough pictures of herself

Most of them hate the flash but she would stand there all day if you are taking pictures of her

I have to clarify the "Mean Girls" comment I made. I seem to have three distinct groups of chickens. Think High School here. My initial flock consists of 2 NH reds, 2 Cream Legbars, and 2 Ameraucanas (one being the roo). Aside from being the oldest group, (20-22 weeks)they are no longer laying after only two weeks of actual laying, they go to the chicken run like good little chickens. I have named them the jocks. The next group is the 5 barred rocks and 1 delaware. One or two of them will come up to me and peck my leg and stand there looking up at me. I finally figured out they wanted to be held. But they also will chase the jocks, and they totally torture the stoners. Just really chasing and screaming at them. I think they are calling them names. Lastly, the stoners, they are a ragtag group of two olive eggers I got at auction, 1 Buckeye that was so much smaller than the BR's that I kept her with, and the three new hatches (ameraucana's, two or possibly three are roos). They like to hang out under the bleachers chicken coop, run the other way when I approach, and generally look guilty of something! So, long story longer, they aren't really mean by chicken standards, just the name I gave to that group of girls
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom