Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

RK looks very content, such a nice space to teach them all things chicken... and what a brood! so adorable! keep RK's protein up and she'll grow feathers quickly, and she'll have an army of protectors to prevent that pecking from now on!

RK Broody does look happy with all her little fluffy babies around her. Wonder if the old urge to sit on eggs has been satisfied or just replaced with a new urge to cluck and care for the chicks. One obsession replacing another. She looks like a great momma!

The RIRs look pretty nice. Little Roger isn't so little any more! That Delaware cockerel is a giant beast. Is he nice? You will probably have a few more to pick from out of the new hatch. Get your pick of the litter! You may be able to sell some of the extras since they are heritage birds.

RK Broody does look happy with all her little fluffy babies around her. Wonder if the old urge to sit on eggs has been satisfied or just replaced with a new urge to cluck and care for the chicks. One obsession replacing another. She looks like a great momma!

The RIRs look pretty nice. Little Roger isn't so little any more! That Delaware cockerel is a giant beast. Is he nice? You will probably have a few more to pick from out of the new hatch. Get your pick of the litter! You may be able to sell some of the extras since they are heritage birds.
The Delaware roo is huge. Biggest bird I have now. Big Broody I thought was big but he has passed her in size. I wonder about his wing feathers sticking out like that. Is he still developing or is that considered a defect. He is a "nice" rooster I suppose. Never had one to compare him to. But nothing aggressive at all so far. He is scared to death of the Golden Comet hens that chase him and his RIR brother. I think that will change...
lau.gif
. But for now both of my roosters are big chickens and run from everything.

RK looks very content, such a nice space to teach them all things chicken... and what a brood! so adorable! keep RK's protein up and she'll grow feathers quickly, and she'll have an army of protectors to prevent that pecking from now on!
I'll work on her protein. Still have some venison. Will it hurt the chicks? You know that a broody will offer the chicks everything she gets to eat. She found a bug today and was trying to get those chicks to eat it. There was no way it was bigger than their beaks. I made this large oversize nest box when I built the broody coop and after I got it in there I thought that it was way too big. I just left it in there. There is a smaller box beside it. I waited till after dark to check on them. She moved them into the big nest box. I bet they will need all the space they have in there. They just experienced their first storm tonight. But everybody is nice and dry and tucked under RK. Little heads sticking out everywhere.

The oversize nest box on the left. It is actually 3 1/2 " off the floor. I piled up the hay so the chicks can get in and out of it easier. I moved the water and feeder to the floor. Normally they hang on the chains. I can move them up as they grow. This place is going to be a busy place in the months ahead.

Back
Top Bottom