Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. chickenlindz

chickenlindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    I finally finished reading through this post. It was great! I got hooked on the "waiting it out" and was ready to jump to the end but then you guys all started hatching eggs and I didn't want to know the ending without reading the journey.

Is there room for a second lindz in this group? ;)

My countdown has started for 2 groups of chickens
    Due week of Oct 28 - 2 white silkies, 2 black copper marans, 2 blush? polish (I went for crazy this round)
    Due week of Nov 12 - 5 EE

And I'm waiting on my coop to be finished. I found a great guy on craigslist who is making me one.

From now til then I'll brush up on my PIE making skills and poetry!

Question - Should I make a pie for when they arrive so they know what it is and then hold out for anymore until they are ready to lay to bribe them into giving up eggs?

2. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Most of my pictures that include Sillie look like this. Sillie looks more like a photo shopped blob of white than anything else.
    So I tried some close ups. s/he has the most beautiful wing feathers coming in and it's so hard to see them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've tried adjusting the lightness... saturating the hue makes no difference because she's such pure white... man is s/he soft...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I am sure we can squeeze you in too! They have welcomed me with open arms! [​IMG]

4. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    Welcome [​IMG]lindz! so glad you've joined us! Yep... Piebery... works every time.

5. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Well I had a CRAZY afternoon! I had to do some rearranging so I could go get my new girls and have somewhere to put them! I ended up separating the big coop into 2 sections with a gate and putting Clarabelle and the babies back into the big coop. I am hoping that this will help with integrating them into the flock a little easier in a few weeks! Anyway, while moving them, I got everyone in the big coop, and one of the chicks jumped out while the door was open and was running around under the coop trying to get away from the other big chickens who were trying to peck it! I was PANICKING! I ended up grabbing Clarabelle and pushing her under the coop toward the baby! She went [email protected] on the other chickens, then her and the baby finally came out and I was able to catch them! Then Hubby yelled out to close the coop door! The other babies had managed to fit through a gap in the gate and were running around! So, we put them back and was patching holes. Then I went to pick up the new girls! They are GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I am tickled with them! Then I get home with them, and I had stopped and bought some hamburger because it was on sale.... as I was bringing it in the house first I see something on our heat pump unit outside! It took me a minute to figure out that it was one of the Golden Comet girls! My heart sunk! In the chaos of the chicks trying to escape, we had forgotten to open the coop back up, and it was well after dark! So we go out with flashlights to find everyone and put them in the coop. Luckily, everyone but the one girl was roosted on a small fence panel down next to the coop! I proceeded to pick everyone up and try to put them roughly where they normally roost in the coop! I got everyone but Rogue and two of the GC girls in, and he proceeds to peck me anytime I get my hands close enough to him. Unfortunately, the other two girls were between him and the coop wall. I ended up just pushing him off the fence onto the ground, and he ran around for about 10 minutes. I was finally able to grab a leg and throw him in the coop. He will be going to freezer camp very soon! I am not going to deal with a rooster that I can't even get my hands on! [​IMG] If it hadn't already been dark, he may have already joined that club! Anyway, once we got him up, I went back to the van and got the new girls out and took them down to their new coop! I hope they like it! I plan on getting up early in the morning and making sure everyone is settled in and doing well! Pictures tomorrow!

6. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Cheeka, they are getting so big! They are all beautiful! Sillie is so bright that s/he almost gives off that blue hue that fresh snow does!

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    lindz, I'm so glad they are all okay! during the times that I kept LF roosters in with the girls...they were always the last in, no matter what... and I hate the "chase" game, it's so not fun. I use a ski pole to extend my reach and guide them in the direction I want. I have also used it as a poking stick on occasion as well, but thankfully, not since the days of Barney...

8. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    If I hadn't got him in when I did, he would have just stayed out! I was so MAD!

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Wow, you read 749 pages?! New people, pictures, and poetry are always appreciated. [​IMG] We may have to call you C.lindz or whatever you'd like. You have some fun chickens and will get beautiful egg colors. Oh, could the Polish be buff or buff laced?

Welcome Pie, Bribery Pie (Piebery [​IMG] good one, Cheeka!), Health Pie, I Love You Pie, Garbage Disposal Pie - there's a pie for every occasion. Fair warning, though. Once they have pie, they will expect it, and they will let you know that they expect it! I'm trying to work on a recipe for Humble Pie. I have a few who could use it.

10. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    [​IMG][​IMG] Humble pie! LOVE IT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by