Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Hi wishin4wings I do have peas.i just started and that's why I've been asking so many questions. I got my first 2 birds last September and one decided he wanted to fly and landed on the concrete.that was his last flight in his life.my second one is a moron. Demi's crazy. He's a male.i know the name sounds like a girl name but I was positive it wasa girl. I got a male thinking my Demi was female.so now I Have two males. They aren't mature until 3 yrs. so no eggs until they are 3 but sometimes they do lay earlier. Their eggs are 4 inches long. They are pretty birds aren't they!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
and good luck getting her settled in quickly!

Quote:
Just got back (9:30pm) from visiting grandma and grandpa up north and was nervous about the mob not being locked up properly, but all was well and 8 eggs for the day were waiting to be collected.

We had some very sad news today. My husband's BIL (sister's husband) died this afternoon. He had been struggling with pneumonia for months, but two days ago was informed that he also had lung cancer. We think he just let go at this news, which was no surprise to him. Just a few days before, the focus was on rehab and recovery, so his wife is quite stunned. Very sad; he was a nice gentleman and will be missed. Love the ones you're with.
I'm so sorry for your families loss.
hugs.gif
you are in my prayers.

ACW... how's it going these days??? would love to hear from you soon!

peacock 05

Wow. Talk about 'waiting for eggs.' Three years?! Are you planning on getting some hens? Will the males fight like roosters?

The male that lived with us came visiting from way up the road and decided to stay for some reason. He liked to hang out with the farm chickens and he roosted high up in the trees at night. He was very beautiful, and would display and rattle his feathers and turn in circles. It was so cool to see that up close. After several years, he went back home. We never knew why, but after what you said about when they mature, he was probably drawn to the peahens there.

You should post some pictures.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Cheeka. The news is still sinking in. We didn't see them too much since their move to Arizona, but keep in touch regularly. My hubby lived with them for quite a while after he finished college, so it's a tough loss for him. At least he was there for a visit 2 weeks ago, but we thought there would be much more time. So fast and so final.

That is a perfect picture of Wilma!
gig.gif
She looks so disapproving. Beware the BRs!!!
lol.png

Did you get buried in the snow? Your granddaughter will love it. She can make snowchicks and snowbunnies!

Yep 3 years!! I am planning on getting some hens. Your probably not from Wisconsin so u probably won't know what I am talking about. But there is an auction up in Stratford on the 30th so we r hoping we can get some peas there. I actually don't have any chickens or pheasants yet so I'm hoping to find some at the auction.do you know much about chickens or pheasants? What breed would be the best for laying? I also show my birds at county fairs so what breed would be good for laying??. I can try to post some pics but I am not that good at figuring out technology!!! ;) let me warn you my new bird is not the prettiest sight.so here's the story the place I got Demi from had peas picking on this little guy!!!!!! :( he doesn't have barely any feathers on his neck back and he doesn't have a crest so I took him so he wouldn't suffer .the owner of the farm said that the others would not let him get any food. :( can anyone tell me how to post pics of my peas?? Like I said not to good with computers yet!!!! ;)

Yep 3 years!! I am planning on getting some hens. Your probably not from Wisconsin so u probably won't know what I am talking about. But there is an auction up in Stratford on the 30th so we r hoping we can get some peas there. I actually don't have any chickens or pheasants yet so I'm hoping to find some at the auction.do you know much about chickens or pheasants? What breed would be the best for laying? I also show my birds at county fairs so what breed would be good for laying??. I can try to post some pics but I am not that good at figuring out technology!!!
wink.png
let me warn you my new bird is not the prettiest sight.so here's the story the place I got Demi from had peas picking on this little guy!!!!!!
sad.png
he doesn't have barely any feathers on his neck back and he doesn't have a crest so I took him so he wouldn't suffer .the owner of the farm said that the others would not let him get any food.
sad.png
can anyone tell me how to post pics of my peas?? Like I said not to good with computers yet!!!!
wink.png

Here's the BYC help on posting pics. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc
I can only help if you are posting from a computer that also has your pics on it, because that's the only way I learned!

Sounds like you rescued poor Demi. No wonder he's skittery. If you are buying from an auction, be cautious and really check over the birds for signs of illness. You should also consider quarantining new birds away from yours to avoid spreading potential diseases. Baby chicks are usually pretty safe. I'm not trying to scare you out of it, but have heard some heartbreaking stories.

There are lots of chickens that are good layers. Pretty much anything that comes from a hatchery is bred for egg production. If you want to show your birds, then you will need to find a reputable breeder to buy from. Have you looked through the 'Breeds' section here on BYC? So many choices! You can start by narrowing down by size (bantam or large fowl) and any other special characteristics you want (heat/cold resistance, egg color, feather color, short/fat or tall/skinny, temperament). Or go to a chicken show and see what breeds interest you. There are so many I wish I could have!

Thanks for the help ill go get pics of Demi and Eyore! That's the other bird! Actually Demi is the big strong bird.eyore was the one we rescued. I think the auction makes the sellers have all of the birds for sale have bloodwork and medical things done before they sell them. I think that's because when people have a sick bird they don't want a dead bird so they sell it. I've heard warrants are good and Orpingtons and friesians are good layers. Do you have a EE? I really want one.!!!! :)

W4W, I love the snowbunny! Mylee and I will have to make some snow creatures/creations for sure! I can't wait til they get here! Her father says that all she talks about is "going Zoom! on a plane to New York and Omi will pick us up and take us to the Cluck Clucks"

Back
Top Bottom