Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

My Hens Hatched on March 18. 4 Of Them. No Eggs Still. No Sign Of Broken shells. Adequate Food And Water And Shelter. They Are Not Roosters.

Is It Time To Give Up? There Are Two Breed - 2 HeNs Are Amercuanas And 2 Are Delawares.

(Sorry About TheCapital Letters....It's This Dang Phone!)

Mine are roughly the same age and I haven't got any eggs either.

Oops... mine are May babies.... I read your post too fast.

After reading some in this thread, I looked at the lady who I buy my eggs from, one Thursday, that as soon as I asked her for eggs again, that mine would start laying that week. Sure enough, I was low on eggs last Thursday, and asked for 2 dozen this week, and got my first egg today. Thankfully she had extras last week, so the 2 dozen are half gone, and i don't think she will bring eggs specifically for me on this next Thursday, knowing mine were due to lay any time.

I am not letting my chickens out till 3 pm now, as that is when I found this one, today, it's perfect and full sized, not like I was expecting. Some of my girls like to get out and go free ranging in the trees behind their coop, so I've been worried about them laying out there. it was 2 when I let them out today.

After reading some in this thread, I looked at the lady who I buy my eggs from, one Thursday, that as soon as I asked her for eggs again, that mine would start laying that week. Sure enough, I was low on eggs last Thursday, and asked for 2 dozen this week, and got my first egg today. Thankfully she had extras last week, so the 2 dozen are half gone, and i don't think she will bring eggs specifically for me on this next Thursday, knowing mine were due to lay any time.

I am not letting my chickens out till 3 pm now, as that is when I found this one, today, it's perfect and full sized, not like I was expecting. Some of my girls like to get out and go free ranging in the trees behind their coop, so I've been worried about them laying out there. it was 2 when I let them out today.

Congratulations on the new layer!

Due to the hatch time and time of year now...its possible you may have to wait til spring :(
The daylight hours of fall affect laying so adding light sometimes helps, also with Ameraucanas, pures can go 30 weeks before laying, on occassion I've heard of 9 months before laying, average seems to be 6-7 months old, but they'll lay longer than many other breeds so its worth the wait ;)
My ameraucanas were last to start laying but haven't missed a beat since-even through molting and winter they Lay now :)
So 28 - Weeks Old! I'm At A Loss... Even Spoke To A Local Farmer Who Said Heritage Breeds SometimesTake Longer, But 28 Weeks Is Really Behind.

Hi BWBB! because they shift their laying time with the passing of each day... you'll find that they will eventually lay nearer to dark time... once they learn where to lay, they generally return to the nest even during free range... not always... I've had hidden nests nearby and spot-able. but for the most part... it's just a matter of time before you won't have to go looking for them outside of the nesting area... I let my girls range only when I'm home, which is definitely afternoon time, but there's usually an egg or 2 found after lock up. I take more risks with the LF roosters, let them range when I'm at work (on clear clear days only) I know it's risky for predators despite the bright skies... but I still do it. I will never do that with my hens...

thank you all for your feedback.... i will check for face reddening, and wattles color changes....as well as eat fried chicken in front of them! wife has suggested placing crock pot outside of coop as warning.

tap tap tap peck tap peck peck peck Dearest Roger, we have a case. if you aren't served Pie in the morning, I will have our attorney file paperwork on your behalf. by the time we're finished there will be TWO PIE'S IN EVERY COOP!

I am going to be on a conference call with you Wilma and Spot in the morning. We are going to get something done about these horrible conditions. Cheeka keep your phone handy I may need to text you. Enough is enough. NO WAY....WE WON'T LAY......NO WAY......WE WON'T LAY......

Back
Top Bottom