Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

That is a nice guarantee on the collars. I gave up and make my own for my dogs.

When I first got my chickens, they could fly pretty well as chicks, especially when they were in that mourning dove - pigeon size range. My father started emailing me saying I needed to clip their wings, so I started researching that. But, then they turned into feathered bowling balls.

Yes, my Barred One seems to have taken on someone as her mentor. However, if she pops out an egg, I will forgive her the transgressions. Maybe. Besides, what are pets for but to be spoiled without moderation or guilt? They give me happy when I see them stalking about, scratching in the leaves and bawking to themselves.

But, I really wouldn't mind an egg, or two. C'mon, girls, pop 'em out, one brown, one blue! (or green. or olive. But, "blue" rhymed. If the EE would pop out green eggs, I could have "green eggs and ham" for Christmas dinner!)

Whoops, looking at the combs on your girls (if those are recent pictures), you still have at least a couple weeks to go before they are close. I read an old timer's post that if they are late starting due to winter light, they can get going very early (like January). As soon as the days start getting longer, it triggers egg production. Hopefully it will be soon!!
fl.gif
Give them some golf balls in the nests!

And I agree about the pets. I enjoy watching them and the pleasure of their company is worth the cost. The eggs are an added bonus. (But if I didn't get eggs, I wouldn't have nearly as many chickens.
D.gif
) So come on eggs!!!

The EE is moulting after a dog incident a couple of weeks ago, so I assume she's out of the running for a bit. Plus, she really isn't very red at all. The Barred Rock is much redder than this picture, but, she will lay when she lays. However, she's my only hope at the moment. I will just impatiently wait. I am also impatiently waiting for the equinox. These short days mean I get home and it's already dark, so the poor things stay trapped in their run during the week and my dogs only get cold walks in the dark.

I hear ya Whoops, I'm not getting in til dark either, I still go in and sprinkle corn and millet all around - this way, there are goodies waiting first thing in the morning. tonight, the sun had just set, and it wasn't "dark" yet, a few were still up and about, which was so nice... and all the boys were still up, Royce was on the roost, but wide awake...I was happy to see one of the little D'Uccles hop up and get right next to him. - he's probably like a giant furnace for the little guys...

There was only 1 Egg. and Chester doesn't care if it's light, dark, hot, cold... walk is his favorite thing to do...

Whoops, your BR looks JUST like my BR's that started laying two days ago. If she is squatting when you pat her, it should be any day now! I have a cell camera that doesn't show size and color of comb and wattles well also!

Here's hoping for that egg!!!
smile.png

The dogs don't mind the dark and cold, but I do, so their walks get shorter with fewer toy throwing intervals. My b/w border collie tries to make up for this by herding cars (and for those who know herding, she's an in-your-face header, none of this heeler business.). A Christmas egg would be really cool! The solstice happens on the 21st of December this year, so after that, the days start getting longer. . .

hoping hoping hoping

The dogs don't mind the dark and cold, but I do, so their walks get shorter with fewer toy throwing intervals.  My b/w border collie tries to make up for this by herding cars (and for those who know herding,  she's an in-your-face header, none of this heeler business.).  A Christmas egg would be really cool!  The solstice happens on the 21st of December this year, so after that, the days start getting longer. . .

hoping hoping hoping
Thats what I am waiting for.......the solstice.......and PIE.

Back
Top Bottom