Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

These guys are just plain crazy, they follow my every move when I go out to the henhouse, then all they do while I'm in there is make this soft pitch "brrraaak" half cluck, even after I throw scratch out for them...It's not until I leave the henhouse do they head out after the scratch...Another question while I'm thinking about it...Is there such a thing as too big of a coop? I converted my 14'x12' shed into the henhouse.

Plus some more pics:

From someone who had to buy a second coop the answer is NO!!! You can never have too big a coop. Even if you don't fill it the extra room will help it stay cleaner and odor free!

Last edited:
I love this thread!! I have laughed my butt off. I just started my chicken journey with 11 hens and 1 roo. All chicks of course. I have about 16 weeks or more to wait for eggs. sigh

Attention crazy chicken people that may sell or buy shipped eggs. Try marking the box "live embryos" instead of "hatching eggs". I saw in a thread somewhere (she was talking about foam blocks a woman cut out for easily shipping eggs) that the woman did this, and in her words (and all of us that have had eggs shipped. Or even chicks!) the PO stopped "drop kicking" the boxes. A woman in the Pennsylvania thread told us that her first chicks were a bloody mess. She ordered 15 bantam pullets. 5 RIR roosters were included as packing peanuts. The box was CRUSHED. 7 were still alive when she got to the post office. 3 RIR and 4 of her bantams. Only one bantam made it through. Even the cockerels died from their injuries. I had a nightmare about it that night.
hide.gif

and as promised, Isis and Betty

Isis has had her beak down to forage since the first day she was given freedom. most of my pics of her are in this position, or in the bath.
she's a bit camera shy

Betty has her first meal worm in this photo.

KB, all of our flocks will follow us, at least from time to time, or a few specific birds all the time...it makes me giggle, and happy. your gang is really cute, very slender young ladies. not much time to go tho' before you'll find your first egg! and I bet, they'll all start laying within 2 weeks of finding the first.

I didn't do much today at all. I tried to take a nap, but couldn't fall asleep. my joints are hurting. lazy day for the flock too. 13 Eggs.

Back
Top Bottom