Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

So last night I took my kid and his friend to the movies. Earch to Echo....if you have a kid ages 8-11 or so they will love it. I did manage not to fall asleep so I'm calling that a victory.

While there, he ate too much popcorn.

I slept on the couch last night because the night before I had trouble sleeping and my back was really hurting.

At 5:45 am, my son woke up to throw up because he had eaten too much popcorn. While he was puking, he noticed that the chickens were making quite a din. He woke up hubby. Hubby comes downstairs and wakes me up. I was sound asleep and as I slowly gained conciousness, I was aware that they were making a BIG fuss, but before I was fully aware, dh had hared out the door like a madman, which instantly shut them up. Because of this, I didn't get a good listen to the type of sound they were making. He later described it as "a chicken yelling"

Ok you and I both know what that was about. I put on my shoes as fast as I could because I knew what it probably was and I didn't want him to find the first egg. I stumbled outside, rubbing my eyes, to look for the egg. We looked at the birds, they appeared fine and normal. My eyes slid over the run...nothing. I peered in the window of the coop. Nothing on the floor. I popped the nest box open and looked inside. No disturbance of the contends and certainly no egg.

I stumbled back to the couch and passed out for a couple more hours. At 9 I went back out and looked again...newp. Nadda.

I can relate, we have been 100+ degrees every day but 2 for the past 3 weeks. I went from an average of 12-14 eggs per week, to this past 10 days only getting 4-6 per week. I am on day 5 of 0 eggs :(
it sounds like you either have a parasite or predator problem.
When was the last time you wormed them?
any signs of eggs? Do you have a game cam?

So last night I took my kid and his friend to the movies.  Earch to Echo....if you  have a kid ages 8-11 or so they will love it.  I did manage not to fall asleep so I'm calling that a victory.

While there, he ate too much popcorn.

I slept on the couch last night because the night before I had trouble sleeping and my back was really hurting.

At 5:45 am, my son woke up to throw up because he had eaten too much popcorn.  While he was puking, he noticed that the chickens were making quite a din.  He woke up hubby.  Hubby comes downstairs and wakes me up.  I was sound asleep and as I slowly gained conciousness, I was aware that they were making a BIG fuss, but before I was fully aware, dh had hared out the door like a madman, which instantly shut them up.  Because of this, I didn't get a good listen to the type of sound they were making.  He later described it as "a chicken yelling"

Ok you and I both know what that was about.  I put on my shoes as fast as I could because I knew what it probably was and I didn't want him to find the first egg.  I stumbled outside, rubbing my eyes, to look for the egg.  We looked at the birds, they appeared fine and normal.  My eyes slid over the run...nothing.  I peered in the window of the coop.  Nothing on the floor. I popped the nest box open and looked inside. No disturbance of the contends and certainly no egg.

I stumbled back to the couch and passed out for a couple more hours.  At 9 I went back out and looked again...newp.  Nadda.

Sounds like you have predators harassing your flock. Do you have them locked up tight?
Do you have a game cam?

Last edited:
@Wishing4WingsBeautiful!! DH and I are going to the San Juan islands tomorrow for a week on the boat. We hope to catch lots of fish, crabs and see Orcas.

Rooster and Si are going to a new home tonigh. 7 in the flock now.

Well I guess I am taking a little trip to the breeder my girls came from. My friend wants to get some birds from there and invited me to come with. I met the breeder halfway with my eggs when I got them before so I haven't been. Should be interesting and I am not sure how I will avoid coming home with a marans chick or two in spite of the fact that I have no room for them and I am already over my legal limit.

@Wishing4Wings Beautiful!! DH and I are going to the San Juan islands tomorrow for a week on the boat. We hope to catch lots of fish, crabs and see Orcas.

Rooster and Si are going to a new home tonigh. 7 in the flock now.
Despite the rain, we were really lucky on the whale watching excursion. The same boat that went out earlier in the morning saw only 2 humpbacks the whole time. We saw the pod of 13 orcas and the 4 humpbacks feeding, which was really cool to watch. The boat stayed out an hour longer than usual because it was such a fantastic day.

San Juan Islands is a beautiful area! Good luck fishing and whale spotting. Mmmmm, fresh crab.
droolin.gif
Hope you have good weather. And no boots!
smiley-sport041.gif

Back
Top Bottom