Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Well we have our first layer start laying on Friday, so far we've gotten 3 small eggs from her in 4 days. I'm not expecting one today because she laid about 6pm yesterday. Anyway, since we eat more eggs than she is giving us and the other 4 aren't pulling their weight i had to give in and get eggs. We had 6 left, I bought a dozen and somehow was given 16 eggs from someone who has more eggs than she can handle. Anyway, I am expecting that now since I have a total of 34 eggs then maybe the other chickens will start laying! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking! Either way I hope I have bought my last store bought eggs!

Yes, Mortie. You are correct about adding heat. It also is bad because the heat adds moisture, and causes frost bite inside the coop.
To keep water warm, OK has posted a water heater, and you can find different videos on Youtube. A lot of us use rubber bowls. They won't crack from the ice, and a stomp on the bottom with your boot pops the ice out.
As for the eggs freezing, straw and deep litter add heat to keep the coop warmer and straw is great in the nest box for keeping eggs toasty. I (and Cheeka) have found that this keeps the water from freezing as often too.
JW, you will be amazed at how much chickens like the cold. Snow is a new experience. They will act a little crazy at first, but keeping the pop door closed is not recommended. They will venture out, and get the fresh air and exercise they need. Wild chickens don't go inside.

Oh! If you don't see things from Fresh Eggs Daily, this was on FB this morning.

Eggs in Clouds

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients
4 eggs
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 and line a sturdy cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Separate eggs, putting the whites in a large mixing bowl and the yolks in separate little cups.
3. Whip the whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Gently stir in the cheese, then divide the whites into 4 "cloud" shapes on the baking sheet. Make a little well in the center of each cloud.
5. Bake for 3 minutes, then slide the cookie sheet out and gently slip a yolk into each well. Cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Gently remove with a spatula and serve!

I do have deep litter in my coop. Not so much in the nest though. I will have to put more in I suppose. In sub zero weather though I think most of my eggs will be toast (hahahaha...see what I did there??)

Well we have our first layer start laying on Friday, so far we've gotten 3 small eggs from her in 4 days. I'm not expecting one today because she laid about 6pm yesterday. Anyway, since we eat more eggs than she is giving us and the other 4 aren't pulling their weight i had to give in and get eggs. We had 6 left, I bought a dozen and somehow was given 16 eggs from someone who has more eggs than she can handle. Anyway, I am expecting that now since I have a total of 34 eggs then maybe the other chickens will start laying! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking! Either way I hope I have bought my last store bought eggs!

Don't count on it. I had 4 dozen in the fridge about the time my first one started laying. Didn't spur the others on to excellence. If anything they probably felt like they could be even MORE lazy. Thankfully my one producer has given us 7 eggs the last 9 days and they've all been perfect.

Oh man. Well I guess I better just stop expecting things! They will lay when they lay I guess. 7 in 9 days from 1 is great. I hope our Penguin. Is that on top of it. Seems like she will be but she's only been laying for 4 days now!

Back
Top Bottom