Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Meet Scruffy, she has always been a little clumsy and her mop seemed to slow her down so she was the last to get on the roost, still seems to sleep on the coop floor now and then. She is 24 weeks like most of my hens and we've always called her "special". She was sooooooo skittish - until she started getting ready to lay. She has laid 2 perfect little white eggs and all of a sudden, she's my new BFF. She loves to be picked up and carried while I go around the coop and garden, and if I don't carry her, she will follow right on my heels. It is just totally endearing. How am I supposed to view her as livestock when she obviously needs me?
Oh, 5 eggs today!!! :celebrate

(I will get a better pic soon)

All thats left laying are the pekin, the chicken, quail and one turkey hen~ I have a lot froze already. Not buying eggs any more. Nope. not happening. Lots of scrambled eggs this winter and that is fine. Not selling eggs either, makjng my piglets happy! Found a vet about an hour away that has hogs, we added 2 gilts, a boar and a feeder. DH found a dairy farmer for our calves. I am really feeling positive that we need to raise our own cows. My next adventure will be keeping a cow and raising her calf.

First day of school today. Got the boys off to their school, the girl doesn't go til a little later. I wish the boys didn't have to go so early, but they need to catch a bus. We got to visit their school yesterday and it's fantastic. They used an old building for it and they did such a nice job mixing the old with the new. The building has tons of character while still being modern. Neat stuff. Baby Mortie #3 didn't like his outfit and he's being overly sensitive about it, hopefully it doesn't ruin his day. :(

I got another perfect little egg from Nugget this morning. At least I think that it is from Nugget. It is 49 grams with white speckles on it. Yesterdays egg was 42 grams with brown speckles on it.
celebrate.gif
I ordered cute heart shaped egg cartons. Yep, I know... they are spendy, but it is just for gifts and my calling card when I get ready to sell some. I am going to freeze eggs for the winter. I would like to sell enough eggs to pay for the feed. Happy schooling to the kids out there!!

[COLOR=800080]I got another perfect little egg from Nugget this morning. At least I think that it is from Nugget. It is 49 grams with white speckles on it. Yesterdays egg was 42 grams with brown speckles on it.[/COLOR] :celebrate [COLOR=800080]I ordered cute heart shaped egg cartons. Yep, I know... they are spendy, but it is just for gifts and my calling card when I get ready to sell some. I am going to freeze eggs for the[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]winter.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]I would like to sell enough eggs to pay for the feed. Happy schooling to the kids out there!![/COLOR]

How do you freeze your eggs and how long do they keep? We have been looking for a good way to store some for the winter and we keep running across freezing them.

It only holds 3 eggs, but I could not resist.

Ohhhh. Cute! I have going through girl withdrawl lately. Having 2 boys, hubs and I were thinking having a girl might be nice, so we looked into fostering and adopting. Came to the conclusion that we are too old and tired.
old.gif
I have been compensating by buying cute girly stuff, like pink paisley sheets. There's a limit on how many Legos and bb guns a girl can stand!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom