Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Question for you. Have 12 hens that are less than a year, and we're laying machines from 20 weeks on. My barred rocks hen went broody, and all hens stopped laying ever since. Is this common? I add artifical light since the change in season happened about the same time. Could the broody hen be the cause for the egg strike?
That is a question I don't have an answer to. However, I would doubt that everyone would shut down just because one hen goes broody. I had a Wyandotte that went broody a month or so ago and everyone else pulled their weight as regards egg laying. I have 22 hens and was getting 22 eggs each day (with one or two taking a day off on occasion). Now that we are down to 12 hours of daylight here in West Texas I am down to 18 or 19 eggs a day. I do not do supplemental lighting or try to trick my girls into laying when their bodies say they should be taking a break or molting. Let nature run its course.

If all yours stopped laying at the same time I would look at any changes that might have caused them to stress and stop laying. Changes to their routine daily pattern, changes to their coop or run areas, changes to your schedule in interacting with them. That sort of thing.

Let us hear how things go.

I collected 2 eggs today from 20 hens.

feathers are on the ground by the hand full.

If you get a really ugly molting chicken, Snap a picture--The molt photo contest should be starting soon.
I'm new to chicken raising meaning this isn't first fall. I have noticed a fair amount of feathers all over the run/ coop. How long does a molt take place? I'd like some fresh eggs :) we were spoiled with 10 eggs a day 7 days a week, and now we are buying what's up with that lol

I haven't given an egg report here because it's just too sad. Have 9 big girls left, and between mites, deaths, old age/quitting, molting, and broodiness, I have only ONE still laying. My EE. But we can't eat the egg because I dosed everyone with Frontline to combat the mites.

Monkey is proof that EEs are awesome!
yippiechickie.gif

Of course, I still have 8 layers in the bantam coop. Broodiness is rampant there as well. Only one Cochin lays reliably and a Serama egg shows up every couple of days. At that rate we might be able to make a tiny omelet by the end of the month.
roll.png

Lindz and Clindz, hope your ouchies feel better soon.
hugs.gif

Try Nu-Stock Ointment. You can get it at most feed stores or on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHSIYQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Its all natural and has been around for over 50 years. Works of bugs, wounds, galled skin from yeast infections,.. well on just about anything. Even works on people. For chicken mites you rub the Nu-Stock on the legs and feet. And the face if they have spread there. I would reapply it again in a week. It kills the mites by smothering them then helps slough of the damaged leg scales and help regrow new ones. All that's in it is sulfur, pine tar and mineral oil. Nu-Stock works like a charm and no need to toss eggs.

Oh, you can also dilute the Nu-Stock and add a touch of detergent then spray it on the roosts to smother the hiding mites in the cracks and crannies.

No i don't have stock in the company. Sigh

Edited because i cant spell.

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard that about the low cholesterol, and depending on breed, they'll start laying by 8 weeks!  Good feed conversion too.  I'm interested to hear how they do.  The bobwhites are supposed to have a very pretty call, but the feed store here only sells coturnix.  Got any pics?  :pop

I will get pics in morning. They are so cute and have a beautiful whistle. Its been cooler here past few days so we had the windows up and last night at dinner, everyone at the table hushed to listen to them. :-D

They are about the size of small grocery store eggs-small. Our Goldens started right out laying big eggs so that is my only frame of reference. They now lay x-star large to jumbos daily.

Everything I have read says they lay nice large eggs.

Most breeds start out with small eggs that get bigger over the first couple of months of so.

Aretha will soon be getting some RESPECT. get it??
gig.gif

W4W... you need more chickens.
Funny you should mention that. I am conversing with a breeder who is selling some of his 6-8 week pullets. He has beautiful birds too. Waiting for him to find out exactly what he has left. Hoping for a big fluffy orpington!
big_smile.png

The studies I read about frontline was that it did not get into the egg--only stayed in the skin.

I would eat them(actually I have).
Hi Ron! Great to see you here on this thread. People think I'm smart about chickens, but mostly it's what I've learned from you guys on the N. Calif thread.
lol.png

I have read conflicting things about the Frontline in the eggs. One study (I think it was a study) said that it is lipophilic and does show up in the yolks, others say nothing in the eggs, but I couldn't find anything definitive. My routine is dogs get the eggs for the first week, hubs and I will consume second week eggs, kids and family have to wait for the third week, everyone else has to wait a month, just to be on the safe side! Not much of an issue since only Monkey is currently laying. Good time to worm them right now.

Quote: My hatchery leghorn was soooo dominant, she would mount hens and go through all the motions of breeding. I had a couple of bald hens and no rooster!

Well, they wouldn't listen to me, and I am the boss you know.

Try Nu-Stock Ointment. You can get it at most feed stores or on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHSIYQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Its all natural and has been around for over 50 years. Works of bugs, wounds, galled skin from yeast infections,.. well on just about anything. Even works on people. For chicken mites you rub the Nu-Stock on the legs and feet. And the face if they have spread there. I would reapply it again in a week. It kills the mites by smothering them then helps slough of the damaged leg scales and help regrow new ones. All that's in it is sulfur, pine tar and mineral oil. Nu-Stock works like a charm and no need to toss eggs.

Oh, you can also dilute the Nu-Stock and add a touch of detergent then spray it on the roosts to smother the hiding mites in the cracks and crannies.

No i don't have stock in the company. Sigh

Edited because i cant spell.
Thanks! I have NuStock. We used to use it on the horses all the time when I was a kid. You can never forget that smell!
tongue.png
Got it for scaly mites for an adopted Silkie. Worked great, but I don't think I want to smear it all over the girls for the red roost mites. Diluting it to spray the coop is a great idea though. I'll try that next time.

I'm new to chicken raising meaning this isn't first fall. I have noticed a fair amount of feathers all over the run/ coop. How long does a molt take place? I'd like some fresh eggs
smile.png
we were spoiled with 10 eggs a day 7 days a week, and now we are buying what's up with that lol

Some hens will continue to lay eggs through molting while others will stop completely. You should start getting eggs from some of them as soon as two weeks after molting starts. It can take a couple of months for others.

I hope mine start up again soon!

Back
Top Bottom