Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

5/6 of my chickens are bantams and she is friendly with all except one of the Roos, would that be stressful? The only non bantam is her adopted sister, a jersey giant, and they are very close
Yes, it is stress and will make them hold their egg.

She should be fine though. It is Spring so he should calm down soon.

Do you have a place you can move him to? There might be too few hens in for him. He does not have to be with them all the time for the eggs to be fertile and if he is over breeding--causing feather damage and etc. then it is fine to keep him away from them for a day or two each week. Or even with them for a day or two a week.

hit.gif

hide.gif
Maybe.

I've been soaking her, doesn't seem to be helping, the egg seems misshapen. Im really worried because this is her first ever egg, will she not want to lay ever again after this ordeal?

Last edited:
I've been soaking her, doesn't seem to be helping, the egg seems misshapen. Im really worried because this is her first ever egg, will she not want to lay ever again after this ordeal?

Hens don't really get much of a choice in the matter of whether they lay or not. Believe me, if hens could choose not to lay then there would be a lot more barren hens!

Last edited:
I have her wrapped in a blanket, chilling with me on the sofa, she seems ok, I hope she passes this soon, it might be a soft egg, it keeps changing shape

I have her wrapped in a blanket, chilling with me on the sofa, she seems ok, I hope she passes this soon, it might be a soft egg, it keeps changing shape

Soft shell eggs are much harder for a new hen to lay, I recommend you read these articles on egg binding :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-cure
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/non-surgical-egg-bound-method

Last edited:

I remember some other info that I read about this problem and did some research to find it.

Check out the information here. Scroll down to How to Check for a Stuck Egg. You can enlarge the pictures to help. The advice here is:
If you find a stuck egg and the hen is still pooping, tube warmed fluids at 10 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes, then tube more fluids and give calcium gluconate at 50mg per pound. Place hen in a steam filled bathroom and let the fluids and calcium do their magic. A warm moist room works as well or better than bathing. The info on how to tube feed can be found neared the top of the same page.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mergency-and-supportive-care-updated-1-3-2016

The calcium is needed for contractions to get the egg out.
LL

Hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom