Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I get one small egg each other day now.
Only one chicken was laying all winter.

The others stopped in October and November. And are still waiting for longer days. The older ladies (4 and 5) probably start in march.

But I have one 1 year old hen of the same breed as the one that is laying every other day. She and a pullet (mix breed) both stopped in november. I assume they soon will lay again.

I’m hoping to get two eggs tomorrow or at least in the first week of February.
:fl
Otherwise I have to buy more expensive bio eggs from the shop because I refuse to buy cheap industrial eggs from farmers that let their chickens live in an overcrowded stable using poisoned genetic modificated (gmo) feed.
I have to buy the better eggs here too! I may have to buy a dozen this week depending on if one or two more hens start up.

We are getting close to enough light for the to start up but they are going into year 3 and 4 in age

I have three pullets, all laying. None of the hens have come back into lay yet. Last year was my first year with a span of no eggs, since I did not get chicks that year.

I don’t buy eggs. Ever. If I did, I they would absolutely have to be pastured. Yes, pastured taste better, but for me, it’s more about the chickens’ living conditions. My family knows I call store-bought eggs “torture eggs.” Ok... don’t start throwing eggs at me now. :oops:

I have three pullets, all laying. None of the hens have come back into lay yet. Last year was my first year with a span of no eggs, since I did not get chicks that year.

I don’t buy eggs. Ever. If I did, I they would absolutely have to be pastured. Yes, pastured taste better, but for me, it’s more about the chickens’ living conditions. My family knows I call store-bought eggs “torture eggs.” Ok... don’t start throwing eggs at me now. :oops:
that is very true! Even with the new cage laws in California it is not ideal.

It is good to have you here!

The thread starter has not been on BYC since 2017.

Good advice!

Is your flock laying well? I am getting 1 or 2 eggs a day now from my 6 hens. they are coming off of their winter break
Yeah mine are laying awesome. I'm getting 4 eggs from my 9 pullets a day. So so far 4 are laying maybe 5 because I spotted an soft egg shell yesterday broken on ground in coop.that's a sign that another young pullet is starting to lay.

Back
Top Bottom