should I buy them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hchorselover, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    First I would like to say that I don't know what category this would be in but the reason I put it in this one is because it would a behavior if the rooster caused the missing feathers...?
    okay so when I was going into the pet store and I saw two barred rock chickens (grown, one rooster, one hen) and I don't know if i should get them or not because the hen had missing feathers on her back (just a small patch) and I don't know if it was the rooster that hurt her or if she was sick or just molting. I don't know weather to buy them or not because I don't want a mean rooster or a sick hen... so what's your opinion? Yes or No

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Personally I would never buy any grown birds when I have no idea of their history. The fact that they don't look 100% healthy just reinforces that, you could end up bringing all sorts of nasties back to your flock. I vote a big no.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks for the advice I did't think i should but i just felt so bad for them! [​IMG] But i need to think about my other chickens first. I would NEVER want to give them any dieses!

4. animalbaby4everandalwyz

animalbaby4everandalwyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    No i would not.. but knowing me i would just because i feel sorry for them but then feel bad when i give something to my other chickens... she has probably lost the feathers because he is "doing his thing" alot...so i would not get them ... But I always hate to see chickens like that ....

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Iagree with the others, nope!

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I also agree!!

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps