should i caponize my little chick

Don't! It's incredibly barbaric (look up the steps if you don't believe me) and vets normally can't or won't for you.
I've seen a video AND THEY CUT THE POOR THINGS RIB CAGE OPEN. but I read it was a simple procedure and some there were implants for.

The people who caponize their birds usually have a large number of chickens that they also raise for meat. You certainly don't want to attempt caponizing a bird the sex of which is hard to identify.

I would just leave your silkie alone. Silkie roos are normally pretty friendly and if roosters aren't allowed in your location, they are easier to rehome than roosters of most breeds.
I live in a rural setting and theres no laws against rooster I'm more worried about it being aggresive or being aggresive towards ace

From what I know, chickens do really poorly under anesthesia, and you need that to caponize unless you do it yourself while the bird is awake and can feel everything
definatly dont want it to be in pain and it's probably more humane to just the the rooster be a rooster

The people who caponize their birds usually have a large number of chickens that they also raise for meat. You certainly don't want to attempt caponizing a bird the sex of which is hard to identify. It's a very risky procedure, especially when the person doing it hasn't done many. Someone new to the procedure needs to practice with unwanted cockerels, not pets.

There is a personality advantage with a caponized bird, but this is more relevant in situations where there are 20, 50, or 100 chickens running around, like on a farm.

I would just leave your silkie alone and give it some unconditional lovin.' Silkie roos are normally pretty friendly and if roosters aren't allowed in your location, they are easier to rehome than roosters of most breeds.

I have a big 50 ft by 20 ft comp lk etly caged boxed in fence area with hardware mesh so dont really need a rooster to protect the flock and I only have 2 birds the chick and big 2 yr old ace I didnt want her to be alone so I got her a docile silkie chick. Would they get along better if the rooster gets caponized or would they fight more. I dont want her back to get tore up either from the rooster tryna smash
I think you need more chickens, just in general. The coop sounds adequate for at least 10 if not 15. That way, having a rooster or two won't be a problem.

There are places where you can mail some feathers, and they check the sex of the bird by its DNA. The cost isn't too awful--$20 or so.

If you know the sex for sure, and if it's a pullet, you could quit worrying. If it's a cockerel, you could decide whether to re-home it while it's still young (before you get any more attached), or whether to try keeping it anyway.

Silkie roosters do have a good reputation for being nice to both humans and hens, although of course there are exceptions with any breed.

Back
Top Bottom