should i clip the wings?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Jun 5, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a toulouse gosling and ive heard that they can fly and my neighbors would definitely not be to hapy about my goose pooping in their yard. so when i let her out to free range do you think she might fly over the 3 foot fence into the other yards or would she just stay close to her coop (we have 1 acer)? and if i clipped the wings do you just clip the tips of the wing feathers?
    and by the way she is a production toulouse not the dewlap type [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. blissdragon

blissdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
  3. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    It is to hard to explain but in different books you can find it!

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i after reading some i understand how to do it but is it necessary, do you think she will fly over the fence [​IMG]

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I doubt it. I have had many Chinese geese, and they only flew a little for about a month before they were a year old . I imagine toulouse geese are much heavier than Chinese, so they probably won't fly at all. Even if they can fly a little if they have food, water, and love on your side of the fence, I am sure they will stay. [​IMG]

6. blissdragon

blissdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Viroqua, WI
    If they have a runway, especially a downhill runway or if there is a strong headwind...especially if she gets scared or has a reason to be on the other side.
    Dana

7. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I live in a windy area. We also get alot of devil winds and nice size twisters. Those type of things get my birds flying. I have 5 fenced acers. My fence is 6 ft tall. They don't go over often but it does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by