Should I COOK her? Need your thoughts.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Oct 1, 2008.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I have a RIR hen that is now 8 months old and she still is not laying. She gets in the nest and pretends but then NOTHING! Shouldn't she be laying by now? I have younger hens laying already. I am thinking about either getting rid of this free loader or cooking her for dinner. Thoughts welcome......

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Really that all depends on how you feel about it. If it was grandma, she'd say cook her! I think it just depends on how you feel. [​IMG]

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I know one of my hens was a laid late--9 months, but when she started laying, it was crazy! She was laying every day!!! Are you sure she's not eating her eggs or stashing them. We has a couple hens that we thought weren't laying and then ended up finding a jack pot up in the rafters---over 20 eggs!!! lol

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep! I agree with gumpsgirl. It just depends on how you feel about it. the term "free loader" doesn't sound too positive for the hen. [​IMG]

5. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I know she is not hiding eggs because they are in a coop 24/7 and she's not eating eggs because all of the other hens lay and I gather between 5-7 eggs from the nest boxes daily.

I feel bad being that I raised her from a chick but I got them for egg production and she is not pulling her weight thus far! She needs to get laying or into the POT she goes! [​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've given my girls a time limit. Anyone not laying by 8 months gets to make good friends with some dumplings. Like you, I have them to lay eggs and can't afford to feed a "pet" chicken.

7. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I don't do pet chickens either. It's put up or cook up!

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    o.k. I'm going to buck the trend. If you ar sure she is a she(RIR can be tricky),I'd give her more time. Mine have started laying at a later age this year. Sometimes it takes longer,especially if the daylight hours dropped right around 6 months of age. She might wait until Spring.

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:I agree!!! Or sell her! I make $15/hen around here. I have had plenty of people buy my hens before they laid and still paid $15. Just a thought!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would give her more time too, but then again, I am a softie. I have heard of hens starting to lay as late as 12 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by