Should I COOK her? Need your thoughts.......

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have a RIR hen that is now 8 months old and she still is not laying. She gets in the nest and pretends but then NOTHING! Shouldn't she be laying by now? I have younger hens laying already. I am thinking about either getting rid of this free loader or cooking her for dinner. Thoughts welcome......

Really that all depends on how you feel about it. If it was grandma, she'd say cook her! I think it just depends on how you feel.
smile.png

I know one of my hens was a laid late--9 months, but when she started laying, it was crazy! She was laying every day!!! Are you sure she's not eating her eggs or stashing them. We has a couple hens that we thought weren't laying and then ended up finding a jack pot up in the rafters---over 20 eggs!!! lol

I know she is not hiding eggs because they are in a coop 24/7 and she's not eating eggs because all of the other hens lay and I gather between 5-7 eggs from the nest boxes daily.

I feel bad being that I raised her from a chick but I got them for egg production and she is not pulling her weight thus far! She needs to get laying or into the POT she goes!
sad.png

I've given my girls a time limit. Anyone not laying by 8 months gets to make good friends with some dumplings. Like you, I have them to lay eggs and can't afford to feed a "pet" chicken.

o.k. I'm going to buck the trend. If you ar sure she is a she(RIR can be tricky),I'd give her more time. Mine have started laying at a later age this year. Sometimes it takes longer,especially if the daylight hours dropped right around 6 months of age. She might wait until Spring.

Quote:
I agree!!! Or sell her! I make $15/hen around here. I have had plenty of people buy my hens before they laid and still paid $15. Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom