Should I cull a hen that endlessly gets bullied

OrcaRice

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
I have three hens and one of them gets bullied by the other two. I keep the bullies together in a coop and the other hen in a separate enclosure. One of the bullies viciously attacks on sight when I let them all out into the yard and the other bully lightly picks at the comb of the bullied hen when eating near each other. This problem has been going on for about 2 months now. I've posted about this before and people said to put the bullies in jail but that hasn't seem to turn down the aggression. All of the hens are good layers and a little over 3 years old. I suppose I could give the bullied hen away to someone. If I do want to put down the bullied hen myself, would a killing cone or cervical dislocation be better? I don't have an axe so I cannot behead anything.

Personally, I'd rehome the bullied hen. She obviously is a more docile temperament. Is she a different breed than the other two?

If you do decide to put her down, with the idea that the others may be picking on her because they sense some health or neural imperfection (can happen), I prefer the cervical dislocation which is quick (if done right) vs the killing cone which honestly takes awhile to bleed out.

Get a broom, place hen face down on the ground while holding feet. Place broom handle at base of skull. Step on both sides of the handle. Quickly pull back and up on the feet. You should feel and see a pop, snap, at the neck. If done aggressively, be forewarned you can end up beheading the bird.

If you are at all squeamish, or want the absolute gentlest way out for the hen which is AVMA approved, I highly recommend the CO2 method. Get a 5 gal bucket with lid. You will need to procure some dry ice from your local grocery store, about 1/4 pound, which should only be a couple of bucks. (Be careful to only handle with gloves to prevent freezer burning your hands). You will need to use within a couple of hours as the dry ice will melt even in the home freezer.

Place dry ice at bottom of bucket. As a kindness place some Styrofoam or such packing over the dry ice so the bird doesn't sit on the ice, while being sure it is not a tight seal over the ice. Add warm water. Immediately a cloud will begin to form of CO2. Let this cloud build in the bucket for several minutes by lightly placing lid over bucket (but not tightly sealing or you risk blowing the lid off from pressure).

When a big cloud forms, lower bird into cloud of CO2 and replace lid to keep cloud within bucket (again being careful to not seal too tightly for possible pressure overload). The hen will take a quick gasp. Unconsciousness immediately follows. Death from asphyxiation occurs within about 30 seconds to 1 minute. The bird will have involuntary muscular flutter. Wait another minute after fluttering ends to assure death has occurred.

Good luck with your decision for this hen. Flock drama is always difficult.

LofMc

I have three hens and one of them gets bullied by the other two. I keep the bullies together in a coop and the other hen in a separate enclosure. One of the bullies viciously attacks on sight when I let them all out into the yard

I wonder if keeping them separated, and then bringing them back together, creates a situation when they are reestablishing the pecking order every time?

and the other bully lightly picks at the comb of the bullied hen when eating near each other.

How often do you feed your chickens? I have my feed hanging in a 5 gallon PVC chicken feeder 24/7 in the coop. I never see any fighting over food because it is always available. Now, when I throw out kitchen scraps or other treats into the run, then the chickens may push one another to get to the good stuff.

I have never seen severe bullying in my flock. Maybe I'm just lucky. But I think having a feeder available 24/7 reduces the competitiveness over limited food.

I'd personally try to find her a new home or cull the bully hens and start over. But that might not help if there's something wrong with the hen or she just has a submissive personality.
The bullied hen always crosses paths with the bully hen in the yard, she clearly doesn't learn that she'll be attacked. I can't cull the bullies and start over because I'm a college student and I'm away from home for most of the year. I'd figure I'd rehome all of the chickens once they stop laying and/or my family can't keep up with caring for them.

Back
Top Bottom