Should I do this?

Quote:
Now, the trick is to be able to build an affordable fence, which will stand the test of time, and not become an eyesore to you.

Any suggestions I know your good with cinder-blocks. Here's the fence line & the Godhttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63768_neighbors_sux_002.jpg forsaken eye sore.

How about some Bamboo? If you get the right kind, it's not too invasive, but will reach a height of 40 ft. every year, with new growth. Depending on how close you plant it, it might take a couple of years to fill in. I find a thousand uses for Bamboo, from firewood to garden stakes, to cheap fence posts, which will last a couple of seasons.

Quote:
Any suggestions I know your good with cinder-blocks. Here's the fence line & the Godhttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63768_neighbors_sux_002.jpg forsaken eye sore.

How about some Bamboo? If you get the right kind, it's not too invasive, but will reach a height of 40 ft. every year, with new growth. Depending on how close you plant it, it might take a couple of years to fill in. I find a thousand uses for Bamboo, from firewood to garden stakes, to cheap fence posts, which will last a couple of seasons.

Yes, I have some already growing along my creeks edge. It helps with the erosion along the creeks edge. I don't think I can stand looking at that house for that long. We shoot skeet & party under the pecan trees in the summer. Now, I'll be looking at this & they can see everything. It suxs period.

Quote:
There's gonna be more. That's if someone buys the land. Twenty five thousand an acre you dig the water well & put in the septic ETC.

Ahhh now I get it. I was like really - why be so upset that someone put one house up even if it is not to your taste. But if they are building a whole development then yeah - I'd be P.O'd

Last edited:
Quote:

Wow I didn't know there could be so many uses for Bamboo! What kind of environments would it be the most hardy in? Now I kind of want to plant some....

Quote:

Wow I didn't know there could be so many uses for Bamboo! What kind of environments would it be the most hardy in? Now I kind of want to plant some....

They grow it in Japan and China, so, obviously, it will survive the cold....It is actually a grass. Just be sure you don't purchase a fast spreader, unless that's what you want....Mine gets about 2" in dia. and about 40' tall.

Last edited:
Quote:

Just be careful with bamboo its hard to get rid of.

Quote:

They grow it in Japan and China, so, obviously, I'll survive the cold....It is actually a grass. Just be sure you don't purchase a fast spreader, unless that's what you want....Mine gets about 2" in dia. and about 40' tall.

Thanks
smile.png
I think I might plant some in the spring. I like the looks of bamboo. I don't want it fast growing so I'll be sure to watch for that.
It isn't dangerous for the chickens is it?

Quote:
They grow it in Japan and China, so, obviously, I'll survive the cold....It is actually a grass. Just be sure you don't purchase a fast spreader, unless that's what you want....Mine gets about 2" in dia. and about 40' tall.

Thanks
smile.png
I think I might plant some in the spring. I like the looks of bamboo. I don't want it fast growing so I'll be sure to watch for that.
It isn't dangerous for the chickens is it?

Chickens love to nest in the roots, but so do snakes.

Back
Top Bottom