Should I feed my hens scratch or layer feed?

If overdosing chickens is such a likely problem then why do people not have issues with all their chickens kicking off from pigging down calcium? I believe it is because they don't eat it if they don't need it, I personally have never seen a rooster eat my shells and the slow rate they are consumed tells me none of them eat very many anyways. I think a chicken is more likely to overdose on calcium laced feed as it had no choice but to eat the calcium if it wants food

If overdosing chickens is such a likely problem then why do people not have issues with all their chickens kicking off from pigging down calcium? I believe it is because they don't eat it if they don't need it, I personally have never seen a rooster eat my shells and the slow rate they are consumed tells me none of them eat very many anyways. I think a chicken is more likely to overdose on calcium laced feed as it had no choice but to eat the calcium if it wants food
Exactly....which is why feeding layer feed to birds not actively in production is an issue.

Interesting that I stumbled across this. I just decided to switch to flock raiser since I have young birds in the flock right now. I'm on my way out now to hang a new container for calcium. I've never fed calcium separate so we'll see how it goes.

Also,many people give a choice of oyster shell if egg production is bad,so whats the deak?

Then why does it say on the package,helps egg production?

They may have changed some of the nutrients as in proteins, energy to help with egg production.
Other nutrients that help with the production of eggs are Vitamin A, D3, B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folacin and Pantothenic Acids.

Also,many people give a choice of oyster shell if egg production is bad,so whats the deak?

Oyster shells/ Calcium does very little to help in egg production. A hen on a low calcium chick starter will lay eggs and a good number eggs.
Calcium does help with shell production along with Proteins, Vitamin D, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Fats.

WOW! Thanks for all the comments. I am newish to chickens and may I ask what exactly is oyster shells? I mean I know what they are, but are the shells in the feed?? I don't mean to seem ignorant. I understand what everybody said about the proteins and that stuff in the feed. But not sure I understand the whole oyster shell thing? ...

Just bought mine. This might help you.

Back
Top Bottom