Should I get a Belgian D’Uccle?

I bought a Belgian D’Uccle from my local Wilco. The chick ended up being a rooster. He was crowing at three months old, and he joined the flock of large chickens when he was 5 months old. Out of all of my roosters in my flock, he has the most personality. Every time I go down to the chicken house he has to flap up on something, and crow. Then sometimes he will go side to side along the chicken wire, kind of like a dance, and if you stick your finger through it he will peck it. Not a mean peck but more like a "Love Peck". I also have a lot of hawks and birds of prey in my area, but he seems to be okay. If he gets in trouble, like something is chasing him, he will often fly a distance to get away from it. The most my D’Uccle has flown was 50 yards!! I would encourage to get a few D’Uccles, because you would not want a little chicken with a bunch of big chickens.

d'Uccles are my all-time favorite bantam breed, and for good reason. :) Before expounding upon this, I must specify that I've found cockerels' tendencies are to become quite aggressive. Others may have different experiences, but that's mine. For that cause, said males are no longer.

Every single d'Uccle pullet/hen/"it" (explanation later on) raised under my care has turned out to possess the exact same personality. One could claim they're all clones of each other. ;) Spunky, sassy, obnoxiously friendly, personable, affectionate, vocal, and needy are all words that describe them perfectly. Just be forewarned that there's potential to end up with one like mine.....one that won't allow you to get things done around the property. :p
Zelda:
View attachment 1582616
Athena:
View attachment 1582617
Zara:
View attachment 1582618
Isabel:
View attachment 1582619
Sassy:
View attachment 1582620
This post isn't anything without Cooties, my munchkin who doesn't fit into either gender category. While I'm not exactly sure what exactly is wrong with it - whether genetic abnormality, hormonal imbalance, or simply being hatched a chimera - I absolutely love this unique sweetie. :) What a character.

Cooties as a cockerel:
View attachment 1582626
Cooties as a pullet:
View attachment 1582622
~Alex
Do you breed Cooties? Is he for sale? Does Cooties lay eggs??

Do you breed Cooties? Is he for sale? Does Cooties lay eggs??
Unfortunately, it would be impossible for Cooties to reproduce....(s)he neither lays eggs, nor shows interest in hens. :hmm:lol: Believe me, I wish I could hatch from him/her! ;)

I wouldn't dream of selling the Coots, although it would be nice to share with others who like him/her. :hugs Perhaps cloning is an option? :p
Cooties sounds so interesting, I want them! (Don't refer to them as it! lol!)
Also wondering if they lay eggs (probably not) or crow? (possibly)
Whoops, I said "it." :oops: My bad. :lol:

No eggs to speak of; crowing is seasonal. :D During warm months, Cooties generously shares that wimpy voice with the world. Right now, though, you rarely hear a peep. :lol:

~Alex

Gus Gus is half D'Uccle--crows his FACE off from 6 am til about 10, then here and there all day. This almost always gets our couch roo 9Volt going; Hubby made a comment about living at Foster Farms. LOL Gus only gets handled once a day, very briefly, when I'm putting everyone up for the night, but he is calm and friendly, one of the sweetest roos on the planet. If his temperament is a property of the D'Uccle in him, I'd get 6 more! :D (And Hubby would kill me...he has no chicken maths LOL)

Back
Top Bottom